Just arrived and display won't power on

Can someone who has a FW16 make a how to video/guide on how to install it? I don’t have mine yet (batch 2) otherwise I would.

4 Likes

I guess for improved security on the cables, they have to do it.

I am glad to hear you posting with a stick of ram.

Yeah the wifi cable truly suck, and that hold true for … basically every laptop?

unfortunate.

1 Like

Clearly I didn’t know what I was getting into. But I have opened up and repaired or upgraded tens of laptops and PCs over the last 30 years, so it wasn’t entirely ridiculous to think I’d be able to manage this.

I blame Framework for the little plastic shield that makes it so much worse.

1 Like

Tell you what: get a Framework 16 and make a video of you completely removing the WiFi module and reinstalling it. That’ll show everyone what an idiot I am.

Also please let’s not forget that if I’d opened the laptop, installed my SSD and my two perfectly standard RAM modules from one of the biggest manufacturers in the world, closed it up, powered it on and installed Windows, then I’d be here banging on about how great everything is.

But that didn’t happen, so here we are.

1 Like

I didn’t say the blame was misplaced, I don’t have mine yet, so can’t comment on that part.

It does seem like you should have known enough, but then again you talked about no display with RAM issues, which has been the case with every PC compatible since the first IBM PC, and you talked about RAM compatibility which has been a common problem for the past 20+ years, it has varied from generation to generation and among CPU and motherboard manufacturers, but it has been discussed many, many times in tech media for at least a couple of decades. All of that indicated to me a lack of experience with PCs.

1 Like

May I remind everyone of the Community Guidelines:

We have to treat everyone with respect or we’ll have to delete posts.

5 Likes

Maybe that should be a future project for Framework: a better Wi-Fi module!

1 Like

@MarkRendle

Looking at this I have to say that you are not the idiot people are making you out to be.

1. There is no wifi repair/replace guide in the framework support section so there are essentially no instructions available from Framework on how to do it correctly.
  2. With the added plastic shield that is not normally on other wifi cards, it adds a complication.
  3. Thank you for highlighting a problem, it might cause other users to pause before trying it themselves.
  4. I have sent a support request to framework suggesting they might wish to add safe instructions on how to replace the wifi card on a framework 16 without damaging the cables.
9 Likes

Absolutely, I would love to see at least some internal pigtail to a better connector, but there are a lot of complications there and I think Framework has better things to tackle first.

Like I say, I’ve built PCs and upgraded and repaired laptops, and this is the first time in my life I’ve had a mainboard reject compatible, working RAM modules. Maybe I’ve been lucky. I certainly don’t remember reading any tech media articles saying “just keep buying different makes and models of RAM until you luck into one that happens to work.”

1 Like

I also haven’t had issues like that, but I have also typically checked compatibility lists before ordering parts. I haven’t had issues even with RAM that is not on the lists, but I have read plenty of articles on the subject to know that is absolutely an issue to watch out for, and is getting worse, especially with laptops due to pushing the limits of the RAM and memory controllers.

EDIT: The media never said to just keep buying different modules, they have always said to check the QVL (Qualified Vendor List) which lists everything that has been tested and verified to work with the hardware.

1 Like

I also check compatibility lists.

From Framework’s list:

What I bought:

1 Like

There is: What DRAM/memory is supported by Framework Laptop 16?.

It includes the RAM I bought.

I don’t yet have my FW16 so, I’m going to make some assumptions, sorry if I get it wrong.
It seems to me like the plastic shield only needs to be slid over the very edge of the WiFi card. So it should be possible to put it on the card by just slightly raising the card, without removing it completely from the slot.
So, if I’m seeing the picture correctly (again, I may be completely off), I would say you need to install the card into the slot, install the wires, slightly raise the card edge (so, release pressure on it), slide the shield onto it, bring the card back down and then screw it in.

8 Likes

Ok, so it could be that it is not a compatibility problem, but an actual hardware problem, that happens.

EDIT: That information from Framework also says “limited validation”, I am not sure what exactly that means, but that would indicate to me that it has not been tested enough to guarantee that it will work yet.

Hi,

I am learning stuff in this thread. For example, memory training up to 15mins often with no error codes or indication of what it is doing !!! :

1 Like

Yep, the memory training is relatively new, and has recently started taking a lot longer. All a result of pushing things faster and faster. Just reading that initial summary, I can say that is not accurate though. All new systems (at least ones without soldered memory) will do some amount of memory training when RAM changes, CPU changes, BIOS is cleared, or on firmware update. Some desktop motherboards have an indicator showing memory training, or some will show what looks like a DRAM error. Often it will reboot at least once during memory training. This mostly seems like a new issue because before DDR5 it was uncommon for it to take more than 10 seconds, and usually more like 1-2 seconds.

At least this doesn’t need to be done very often, just really scary when it always happens on first boot making it seem like something went wrong with the build unless you know about this.

1 Like

Well that doesn’t bode well for me - almost 50 and also wear reading glasses!

(And to all the zoomers reading who are thinking “oh, some old geezer, lol” - 51 is NOT old!! And yes I will keep telling myself that.)

Anyway Mark, I just wanted to say that everything that seems bloody difficult at first becomes easier with practice. So don’t send it back - practice! Give yourself a chance to get the hang of it (and let the rage wear off a bit).

Maybe it won’t make a difference but maybe it’s worth a try?

3 Likes

Don’t think so, more a problem with being unfamiliar with the connector type and the techniques for dealing with them.

another one is FPC connectors and flexible PCBs. The number of different ways to unlatch those connectors … well, I’ve lost count, and they are REAL easy to damage.

I suspect the OPs real problem is the antenna connectors haven’t latched onto the card, and that is why they are coming off so easily. Maybe try squeezing them between thumb and index finger to get enough pressure to make them latch.

2 Likes