Keyboard Programming

I’ve seen some discussions where the Framework team mentioned the possibility of firmware-level keyboard programming for remapping keys and creating custom function layers.

Just curious if there’s any roadmap for this or if it’s still in the “would be nice” phase.

(Specifically, I’ve conditioned myself to use left control as a function-key/layer shift for so many things that I end up frustrated using a laptop without an external programmable keyboard. And none of the software solutions out there are robust or straight-forward to set up.)

3 Likes

(Specifically, I’ve conditioned myself to use left control as a function-key/layer shift for so many things that I end up frustrated using a laptop without an external programmable keyboard. And none of the software solutions out there are robust or straight-forward to set up.)

You can swap the Fn key with left Ctrl key on the firmware level from the BIOS menu.

1 Like

But I’m guessing the built in function layer doesn’t have ijkl arrow keys mapped. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah yes. The only way to do it is to bind the modifier key(s) + ijkl with top, left, bottom, right on the software level. Not sure how to bind the key code by “Fn + i(jkl)”.

Yeah, this would require some way of modifying the keyboard’s firmware, either through an application or through a utility within the BIOS. Option two is very intriguing to me, as I don’t think that’s ever been done with a keyboard. (External keyboards that can have their firmware reprogrammed using software are easy to come by, though.)

I’ve recently started using a GMMK compact with my computer when at a desk. I’m really liking the Fn+IJKL to use arrows without my hands leaving the home row and it’s causing problems when I go back to the built in keyboard. Are there any plans to enable this through the BIOS? Bonus points to swap Capslock and Fn (or Ctrl acting as Fn)

I have similar wishes to this thread, mostly changing and adding to the Fn layer.
Sadly after a small bit of looking I found that the keyboard matrix is read by the mainboard itself and the scanning seams to happen in the protected part of the mainboard firmware (this is the chromebook firmware, but it’s probably running on the same chip).

That being said: Please prove me wrong, I would love to customize this keyboard!