Laptop 16 AMD Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.04 BETA Release

After using “sudo lsusb -v” does your fingerprint-reader work as expected?
Are your USB-Ports working as expected? My external USB 3.2 SSD (Samsung T7) when connected to USB-Port 5 (right, middle) only has USB 2.0 (480 MBit) speed. System-Info shows it under an USB 2.1-Hub.

I don’t use the fingerprint reader, so can’t answer that.

Port one (docking station with ethernet and 3 monitors) is not affected, and neither is port 6 (bottom right) with the audio expansion card. The other ports are not in use. Ports 3 and 5 are equipped with USB-A cards and were both able able to mount a 8GB USB drive I’ve got lying around. So I can’t tell if anything is amiss (other than the timeout and error messages in dmesg).

I also have no problems with Port 1 and 4 (USB 4) because there are not connected to the Genisys Logic USB-Hub.

Some proper indication that shows when the laptop went to sleep. It’s no good when you arrive at home and find it running hot when you get it out of your backpack.

I’m still running 3.03, and haven’t tried updating yet. I’m running Windows 11 Pro installed by Framework. Lately, I’ve been experiencing more and more issues with the computer waking itself up from sleep.

When logged in and using the device, going to the start → power setting and selecting sleep will put the machine to sleep and then immediately wake back up, but now locked.

Selecting sleep from the power options on the locked login screen will often put it to sleep for a variable period.

When the laptop is asleep and open, closing the lid often wakes the laptop.

When the laptop is asleep and plugged in, unplugging it often wakes the laptop.

When the laptop is asleep and unplugged, plugging it in often wakes the laptop.

When the laptop is asleep, closed, and plugged in, it often wakes randomly.

When the laptop is asleep, closed, and unplugged, it often wakes randomly (this often happens in my bag).

My go to lately has been to unplug the laptop, put it to sleep, and hope that if it does wake itself up, that it will hibernate until I get back, just so that it doesn’t bake itself to death.

The only hardware change I’ve made recently was receiving the LED Matrix spacer, and installing it to the right of the keyboard (and the color shift spacer to the left). I doubt it’s related, but as a USB device :person_shrugging:. I’ve also updated Windows and installed updated drivers from AMD as prompted by AMD Adrenaline.

1 Like

This beta BIOS was released a month ago. Any reason why it’s not updated to non-beta status yet?

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

@Kieran_Levin any hope to have a working usb PD with Anker 737 powertank on next update ? I’m deseperate to not be able to rely on a powersource on the go while the laptop always drains during sleep or even worst, wakes up while being in my bag T-T

1 Like

I saw somewhere that was being worked on for the next update.

Yes there was some vague words about working on PD issues for the next release but not specifically mentionning the Anker 737 powerbank model.

I did not realised that there was a topic with quite a lot of people using this model (or the newest one) currently:
https://community.frame.work/t/fw16-usb-pd-battery-issues

can this help?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Framework_Laptop_16#Prevent_waking_up_in_backpack

Thanks Ive already done that but somehow it keeps awaking randomly.
Everytime I tried the debugging script sl2idle from AMD I get nothing too …

I simply unziped the contents of the UEFI shell onto a fresh 8GB FAT32 usb drive as instructed. Given the layout comes from Framework, I’m assuming they know how large each directory should be or would at least provide additional directions if need be.

The last acknowledgment from Framework staff (apart from Destroya quoting Kieran_Levin’s post in question) that this BIOS was being held back to continue being worked on was 27 days ago. I don’t mean to rush anyone, as I know software development and especially troubleshooting and bug tracking are time consuming, but can we get more Framework communication on this? Maybe 1 post a week confirming things are still being worked on and possibly some vague status updates (eg. “bug seems to be related to USB controller, contacted the vendor/supplier/manufacturer and currently waiting to hear back from them” or something)?

Unfortunately, since the “we’re gonna do better” post/email, I don’t feel like communication has significantly changed or improved.

4 Likes

Yes, definitely, especially since one of the things being fixed is the compatibility with the dual drive bay. Seems kinda rude to show it off on the assembly line in an LTT video only to have to wait months to get it, when they’re probably sitting there ready to go in the warehouse.

Try double tapping the power button on the 737 (this enables trickle charge mode, shown on the screen with a green dot top left)

For me it can fully run and charge the Framework in that mode.

It only disable the 140W power limiting output power to 100W.
You can use 100W cable to …
So yes it can be use in that mode and work like all other 100W power, but it do not allow to get the 140W power (28V/5A config) so for me not “fully”.

I guess this BIOS made it to lvfs-testing. I went ahead and updated (using Manjaro+KDE+Discover). I wasn’t really having any issues with 3.03, but I only use the framework power brick since nothing can compete in power output yet. I’ll check and see if any of my modules are acting up, but so far it all seems to be working fine.

I just came here to check up on the status of 3.04. I remember seeing the announcement of the BETA release 2 months ago, but surprised to not see it released yet.

I guess there is much work still to do?

1 Like

They said that it isn’t released due to one specific issue:

1 Like