Laptop 16 AMD Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.04 BETA Release

Jul 23, 2024

Please note! This update will remain BETA due to the following issue:

If a device is plugged into an expansion card during the update, all USB3/DP functionality will be lost until the device is removed and reinstalled.

If you still choose to install this update, please shutdown, remove all power sources, wait 2 minutes and then power back on to fully reset the system and clear this issue. Or unplug and replug any devices in ports 1, 2, 4, after applying the update as seen in Expansion Card Slot functionality on Framework Laptop 16

You can check your current BIOS version following the steps here to determine if you are on the latest release.

Downloads

Windows

Download Link SHA256
Framework_Laptop_16_Amd_Ryzen7040_BIOS_3.04.exe bc011357e627fcecac40d9ace8c6351c1f7c345f9be83cc41f10a5e8315e1d9d

Instructions for Windows Installer:

1. Run the .exe.
  2. Click yes to reboot.
  3. Wait for the firmware progress bar to complete, and then the system will reboot.

Linux/LVFS

Updating via LVFS is available in the testing channel during the beta period.

You can enable updates from testing by running

fwupdmgr enable-remote lvfs-testing

LVFS may not update if the battery is 100% charged. LVFS uses the battery status to determine if it is safe to apply updates. However if our battery is at 100% and the charger is off, we set the battery charging status to false. In this case you can discharge your battery a few percent, then plug in AC again and run fwupdmgr update.

Linux/Other/UEFI Shell update

Download Link SHA256
Framework_Laptop_16_Amd_Ryzen7040_BIOS_3.04_EFI.zip 141d4d100183040dce00d293620ecca2dae811499b42ed6a29ebd3f0391d6420

Note that if you use the EFI shell update with Windows, you should suspend Bitlocker if enabled before updating using the EFI updater.

Instructions for EFI shell update:

1. Extract contents of zip folder to a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Cleanly unmount the drive before physically removing it, otherwise the BIOS update may not function correctly.
  2. Boot your system while pressing F12 and boot from the thumb drive.
  3. Let startup.nsh run automatically.
  4. Follow the instructions to install the update.

Updating a Mainboard outside of a laptop

This release supports standalone updates without a battery attached. After rebooting, please follow the onscreen instructions to update your BIOS when in standalone mode, which will require moving the power source between both sides of the Mainboard to allow PD firmware to update correctly.

Security Fixes

Module Name Vulnerability Score
IP6Dxe CVE-2023-45232 7.5
IP6Dxe CVE-2023-45233 7.5
UefiPxeBcDxe CVE-2023-45234 8.8
Dhcp6Dxe CVE-2023-45230 8.8

Enhancements

Fixes

1. Fix issue with dual SSD expansion bay module, where the SSD is not recognized after resume.
  2. Set ACPI thermal zone _CRT to 170C and _HOT to 160C. This should fix an issue where thermal zones where not loaded in linux due to being out of range: Commit - Sourcegraph

Component Versions

This BIOS update is a bundle of updates to multiple embedded components in the system.

Not all of them use the same version number.

Component Version Changed
BIOS 3.04 Updated
EC ec_304_b4c1fb Same
PD 0.0.1E Same

Known Issues

1. There are some device compatibility issues found in 3.03 which are still being resolved. This update is primarily focused on security updates.

2. Type-c connection stability with some apple phones.

3. Charger support for certain portable EPR power banks.

4. System stuck at 500Mhz when attached to an EPR charger through type-c to displayport adapters with type-c input.

5. ALS sensor reports may occasionally be incomplete. (as seen in dmesg).

6. If a device is plugged into an expansion card slot during the update, all USB3/DP functionality will be lost until the device is removed and reinstalled, or the system is fully shut down and powered on again.

11 Likes

I am still getting ACPI thermal errors on Linux 6.10.0 after performing the BIOS upgrade:

[    1.170041] thermal LNXTHERM:00: registered as thermal_zone0
[    1.170042] ACPI: thermal: Thermal Zone [TZ00] (46 C)
[    1.170206] thermal LNXTHERM:01: registered as thermal_zone1
[    1.170207] ACPI: thermal: Thermal Zone [TZ01] (47 C)
[    1.170370] thermal LNXTHERM:02: registered as thermal_zone2
[    1.170371] ACPI: thermal: Thermal Zone [TZ02] (53 C)
[    1.170534] thermal LNXTHERM:03: registered as thermal_zone3
[    1.170535] ACPI: thermal: Thermal Zone [TZ03] (65 C)
[    1.170587] ACPI: thermal: [Firmware Bug]: Invalid critical threshold (-274000)
[    1.170629] ACPI: thermal: [Firmware Bug]: No valid trip points!
[    1.170673] thermal LNXTHERM:04: registered as thermal_zone4
[    1.170674] ACPI: thermal: Thermal Zone [TZ04] (40 C)
[    1.170725] ACPI: thermal: [Firmware Bug]: Invalid critical threshold (-274000)
[    1.170768] ACPI: thermal: [Firmware Bug]: No valid trip points!
[    1.170902] thermal LNXTHERM:05: registered as thermal_zone5
[    1.170909] ACPI: thermal: Thermal Zone [TZ05] (40 C)
[    1.171643] ACPI: thermal: [Firmware Bug]: Invalid critical threshold (-274000)
[    1.172783] ACPI: thermal: [Firmware Bug]: No valid trip points!
[    1.177061] thermal LNXTHERM:06: registered as thermal_zone6
[    1.177096] ACPI: thermal: Thermal Zone [TZ06] (39 C)
[    1.179015] ACPI: thermal: [Firmware Bug]: Invalid critical threshold (-274000)
[    1.180038] ACPI: thermal: [Firmware Bug]: No valid trip points!
[    1.181051] thermal LNXTHERM:07: registered as thermal_zone7
[    1.181081] ACPI: thermal: Thermal Zone [TZ07] (0 C)

Kernel: Linux 6.10.0-arch1-2 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon, 22 Jul 2024 17:28:23 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I hope that means the dual SSD adapter is coming soon!

I have updated win 11 pro 770m 2tb SN810 2tb 64gb Crucial Ryzen 7 7840hs Igpu (waiting on 2x NVME from @Josh_Cook(ordered) or Framework to become available.)

1 Like

I reverted to 3.03 because my Ethernet card stopped working with 3.04.

Interestingly when I directly downloaded the cab file from fwupd.org site and tried to install it with fwupdmgr I got a version mismatch:

% fwupdmgr local-install framework/Framework_Laptop_16_Amd_Ryzen7040_fwupd_3.04.cab
Decompressing…           [             /                         ]
Specified firmware is older than installed '0.0.3.4 < 771'

My previous firmware was updated via the BIOS EFI shell & usb drive so I’m at

BIOS version:
	Vendor: INSYDE Corp.
	Version: 03.03
	Release Date: 03/27/2024
	Address: 0xE0000
 Framework Product:
       product: AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS w/ Radeon 780M Graphics
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
       physical id: 4
       bus info: cpu@0
       version: 25.116.1

did you enable the testing remote on fwupdmgr? You should pull the metadata as fwupdmgr uses the metadata from the remote to correctly parse the firmware version. Since it is showing 771, this is 0x3.03 in hex. Which means that the metadata was never loaded so fwupdmgr can parse the version correctly.

Thanks for letting us know Dustin, we were not able to reproduce this issue on our end, did you have any other issues with ethernet or your ethernet card before? Are there any additional information you can share with us?

No I didn’t I got scared off by the warning…

% fwupdmgr enable-remote lvfs-testing 
╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
β•‘ Enable new remote?                                                           β•‘
╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
β•‘ The LVFS is a free service that operates as an independent legal entity and  β•‘
β•‘ has no connection with Debian GNU/Linux. Your distributor may not have       β•‘
β•‘ verified any of the firmware updates for compatibility with your system or   β•‘
β•‘ connected devices. All firmware is provided only by the original equipment   β•‘
β•‘ manufacturer.                                                                β•‘
β•‘                                                                              β•‘
β•‘ This remote contains firmware which is not embargoed, but is still being     β•‘
β•‘ tested by the hardware vendor. You should ensure you have a way to manually  β•‘
β•‘ downgrade the firmware if the firmware update fails.                         β•‘
β•‘                                                                              β•‘
β•‘ Enabling this functionality is done at your own risk, which means you have   β•‘
β•‘ to contact your original equipment manufacturer regarding any problems       β•‘
β•‘ caused by these updates. Only problems with the update process itself        β•‘
β•‘ should be filed at https://bugs.debian.org/.                                 β•‘
β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•
Agree and enable the remote? [Y|n]: 
Authenticating…          [                                      \]
Do you want to refresh this remote now? (Requires internet connection) [Y|n]: 
Downloading…             [*********************************      ] Less than one minute remaining…
Successfully enabled and refreshed remote
  • Your right it is now it is happy to install the raw file…:
fwupdmgr local-install framework/Framework_Laptop_16_Amd_Ryzen7040_fwupd_3.04.cab 
Waiting…                 [***************************************]
Successfully installed firmware
Do not turn off your computer or remove the AC adapter while the update is in progress.
An update requires a reboot to complete. Restart now? [y|N]:
  • After the reboot during which a BIOS window popped up and applied the update
 BIOS version:
	Vendor: INSYDE Corp.
	Version: 03.04
	Release Date: 07/09/2024
	Address: 0xE0000
 Framework Product:
       product: AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS w/ Radeon 780M Graphics
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
       physical id: 4
       bus info: cpu@0
       version: 25.116.1

It is good that some usb problems i am seeing are noted in the Known issues section
2) Type-c connection stability with some apple phones.
This also affects Android A34 phones. Mine only works in slot 1 and 4.
It’s too unstable in other slots.

1. Charger support for certain portable EPR power banks.
    My power bank does not work in any port in the FW16.

So, I look forward to those fixes.

For clarification, the Ethernet port was seemingly disabled. It was registering something was there in that port (I don’t remember what screen I was in where it was telling me this, I can check tomorrow), like a disabled driver and I think it had the name of the driver it was referring to, but the driver wasn’t appearing in Control Panel or Device Manager (even with showing hidden enabled).

Even when I reverted back to 3.03, the Ethernet adapter still wasn’t showing up in neither my Device Manager nor Control Panel.

I was able to get it working again in 3.03 by clean reinstalling the Driver bundle and doing a couple restarts and winsh resets. Not sure what exactly fixed it, or if I was supposed to reinstall the Drivers after the BIOS update or not. Maybe that would’ve solved my problem.

I can try and recreate the problem again to gather more information and to try to solve it without reverting to 3.04 tomorrow if you’d like.

thank you for the additional information, I’d appreciate it you could try again tomorrow.

I did some testing this AM and the issue was on the USB C dock… it works just fine in this bios.

This isnt quite what is in the known issues thread.

But after installing the update, my usb-c dock does not work in port #4. It works in port #1 though.

My charger works in 1 or 4…and my usb c headset works in port #4 as well.

@knipp30
It is strange regarding the usb problems because the new bios did not mention making any changes to the usb parts.

I have not bothered updating to BIOS 3
0.4 because it did not mention any usb fixes.

After upgrading BIOS it is a good idea to reset the bios to β€œoptimized defaults”.

1 Like

It’ll be 2-3 days because I’m out of town without my Framework, but I will definitely try again and give your more useful information about it when I get back.

1 Like

hop this will be the same issues as this one FW16 refusing to properly charge on 140W charger
:crossed_fingers:
And nice job, I realy love my FW16!

I had an issue where the dGPU was completely missing from both Windows and NixOS, so I downgraded back.

1 Like

So, after a few days running 3.04, I can confirm that it caused instability with my usb-c dock.

No matter what port, it would not connect.

Rolled back to 3.03 and it worked as expected.

Could you provide more information about your dock? Also what port the dock is connected to. Model number and brand? We would like to see if we can reproduce your issue.

1 Like

Can you tell us what port your ethernet adapter was connected to? Upper middle lower, right, left.