Laptop reboots itself to No Boot Device Screen

When I first got my laptop in November, it would regularly come out of sleep mode by itself and give me a black screen with a blue text error box that said: Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed. Insert Recovery Media and Hit any Key Then select ‘Boot Manager’ to choose a new Boot Device or to Boot to Boot Recovery Media [OK]. Hitting OK came up with a screen that said there was no boot device. Powering off and on though - the system would reboot fine.

I now find that every few hours the system will give me a screen that says “Windows had a problem and needs to reboot” . That then leads to the same screen as I described above. Once again, I power off and on and everything is OK for another few hours.

I looked at the BIOS settings and they look fine. I opened the laptop and the drive and RAM all seem seated properly. Running Windows 10. Not sure what to try next.

Screenshot 2021-12-11 153735

What SSD are you using? Check for firmware updates. The WD drives in particular have had some issues that iirc were resolved by applying a firmware update to the drive.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I have the WD Black SN850 2TB drive. Based on your suggestion I just now updated the SSD firmware. I did review the WD site and it appears the firmware update was mainly to fix some AMD related performance issues - so I’m not holding my breath that this will address my issue. But I will know shortly :frowning:

Yep, this is a known issue on one of the older SN850 firmware versions. We have a KB article on it here: My system is rebooting to a “Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed” message

3 Likes

I updated the SSD firmware yesterday and the problem has not repeated since. Finger crossed this is the issue! Many thanks in advance!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fresh install, all went well, but default boot device is still missing