Learning from Purism laptop

While I am waiting my Framework laptop and watching the review videos on Youtube, I find another interesting laptop from another company. That is Librem 14 by the company, Purism. The reason why I am sharing here is I think we can learn some features from their laptop to add to the Framework laptop in the future.

I find the following features are interesting. I see some features are already discussed in this community forum.

2 Likes

As an owner of a Librem 13 I think the things we learn (or at least I have) are that security is an infinite rabbit hole, reparability means nothing if parts aren’t available, and supply chains matter. (look at the L14s web page. Notice the absence of any repair lingo.)

Also the Librem 14s came with a shoddy hot glue fix in the first batch, indicating some qc issues.

Screen is glued still as well.

I think framework has demonstrated that they did there homework and made choices that will matter in the long run.

BTW you can install a different bios firmware on your Framework if you want. Purism even has a script that will compile and flash it as an example. (pending compatibility with Framework laptop)

I’m not trying to bash Purism. Their efforts on the Librem 5 are very important.

5 Likes

We like what the folks at Purism are doing to drive open source firmware forward.

On the hardware kill switches, we do have those for both camera and microphone. Our wifi/bluetooth switch is software, but you could open the laptop up and take out the wireless card in a couple of minutes too!

11 Likes

BTW you can install a different bios firmware on your Framework if you want. > Purism even has a script that will compile and flash it as an example. (pending compatibility with Framework laptop)

Can someone on the Framework team confirm or deny this? I am only interested in the possibility of upgrading the BIOS by the user not necessarily a polished version of Coreboot for Framework or anything like that. If not, how accessible is the chip that contains the BIOS? Can I desolder it relatively easily (I have done this before on other machines).?

It would take a fair amount of development work to port a fully functioning alternate BIOS over, but that is certainly something we would like to see.

2 Likes

I have observed Framework and experienced firmware things a little bit since my previous post, now it’s time to comment on this thread. :slight_smile:

@2disbetter Yeah, Purism’s primary focus is security. The repairbility is what Framework is leading in the industry. Some other laptop companies might follow the trend later by the pressure from the market.

@nrp I can see camera, mic ardware kill switches on Framework. That’s great as many people said.

For the firmware, reading the coreboot users guide, the pureboot document, the firmware gives us a kind of purposeful choice on the hardware level.

Purism Librem 14 has the no logo on the surface of the laptop. This option might be good for people who want to use Framework secretly for a security reason. In some regions, the expensive devices might be a target to be stolen by bad people more than ordinary devices.

no offence to the team but i think that the only logo that attracts people is apple’s. if someone wants to steal your laptop because it’s up for grabs somewhere having no logo won’t help you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe it depends on where you live. in a country I heard a person from a country that in the country anyone doesn’t steal even iPhone, because everyone can buy it easily in the country. However I also heard a person in another country where people have to have a dummy cheap mobile phone to fake bad people to protect the real phone.

Another benefit of the no logo. I think a person who has Purism laptop to protect their important data don’t want be recognized by other people in public place.

Because if the Purism is popular among the experts in the security industry, the experts can recognize the person with the logo laptop implies perhaps the person has to use the laptop for some reasons, and perhaps the person has important data.

Nah, I suspect the people with the really important data will be not drawing attention to themselves and be using the same Lenovo/HP/Dell machines as everyone else!