Linux guy on Windows 11 and... liking it?!

Not at all, dude - text sometimes comes off unintendedly w/o audible expression - no issue taken… while I did enjoy knowing that Windows was a capable OS, and I really liked learning a bit about the most current version - and the WSL2/Linux baked in - I’ve since went back to *nix. I run Arch, because I can build the exact system that I prefer… I choose to run it with a GNOME base and both Linux and Linux-LTS installed, as there are some bugs w/ the newest Linux kernel. [Such as VirtualBox having issues w/o Linux-LTS running…]

1 Like

For me, while gaming has gotten a lot better on Linux, that’s been my main sore point (and PC VR, which still basically requires Windows). I used to dual boot, but that was always a huge chore (eg, I’d just end up not gaming since I’d need to do so much workspace cleanup/bringup, even on a second drive, and Windows or BIOS updates would too often do bad things to my EFI or NVRAM and I’d have to go back and fiddle). This was especially bad for VR development, where I basically just had to use a dedicated Windows system. So a few years ago, I bit the bullet and ground my way to a working VFIO-passthrough KVM setup that I’ve been using over the past few years, which has worked reasonably trouble free (over 3 years post setup, there’s been one tricky docker/network bridging issue, and maybe 2 QEMU updates that I’ve had to temporarily roll back that caused regressions).

This setup might change soon though, I’ve recently discovered how good Moonlight is (about 2-5ms latency local streaming), so I’ll probably just setup a dedicated gaming box in a closet. Along with Playnite to manage my libraries, this is literally a game changer :stuck_out_tongue: and I’d highly recommend everyone give it a try (Sunshine is an alternative Gamestream host if you want to stream from Linux).

In the past I’ve switched through all the major platforms as my primary desktop computing environment, using Windows primarily (until XP), Mac (10.1-10.11), and Linux (from about 2015 on), obviously everyone should use whatever works best for them, and I keep a reasonably up-to-date Mac as well as a dedicated Windows machine around just in case, but for me, I have a few reasons for strongly preferring Linux these days:

• As a professional and geek/enthusaist, I’ve spent the majority of my waking hours on computers for the past 20+ years. Whichever platform I’m using, I like to become a power user so customizing/optimizing my computing is a big deal, but it also does pay itself off in saved time/better experience (this might not be the case for most people, everyone’s calculus there will be pretty individual). Obviously this becomes a lot harder to do on multiple platforms (especially as there are constant updates breaking things), but also, it turns out that Linux simply gives you a lot more control over your environment. Better scripting for window manipulation/layouts, behaviors/decorators, notifications, app switching, idle/locking, keyboard remapping/macros (interception is amazing), and of course, what processes are running and who/what data your computer sends out.
  • While there’s a lot more initial setup, dotfiles means that all this is relatively portable. It’s much easier for me to swap and keep in sync all of my systems. Not much of a concern if you’re only using one primary client system, but even if you just use a laptop/desktop and upgrade relatively often, it’s still a big win IMO. It’s a bummer to spend a long time customizing your environment to what you like if its impossible to keep it up-to-date, or have it setup everywhere.
  • The trend I’ve seen for commercial operating systems (especially on the Mac side) is that they are getting more locked down and less flexible. Some of choosing Linux is for supporting the computing I want, but also to make sure that I’ll continue to have that moving forward as well. To me, Linux is a longer term investment that I’ll be keep doing what I want in the future. While I’m a pragmatist, as I’m getting older, more of my software choices are with an eye towards what will let me carry over utility, or even basic access/compatibility over the next 10, 20, or 50 years.
1 Like

Oh, since I just realized I wrote a long reply to a necro-thread, here’s some user reports on the HP Dev One after some usage

Basically good, complaints are focused on the SureView display, which may or may not bother some people.

A user also wrote a pretty nice overview guide: GitHub - Bert2Go/HPDevOne: The HP Dev One Guide
It also lists some pros and cons.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great reply. I don’t game much - I love GTA V, but thats about it - so I don’t really NEED Windows. Thanks for sharing about Moonlight, tho - as I didn’t know about it… neat. I use an Oculus Quest 2 for VR ; but PC VR does crush it - I like the all-in-one package of the Quest 2, tho… for a light gamer its great.

I’m back to my *nix setup; dotfiles and all. :stuck_out_tongue: