Linux Mint 21.1 on the Framework Laptop

Honestly, and this is my approach to all distros - if it’s working and not going to be outdated/unsupported soon, I leave my working installs alone. I have a very happy install of Fedora 37 on a personal machine even though I work on Fedora 38 for example.

That said, we have not had time to properly vet 21.2 yet for community level compatibility. May be fine, outside of the known issues list here (some of which would give me pause).

But it “should” be fine. Just remember, backup first before trying anything and as always, clean installs always have a higher success rate than an upgrade path in my experience. Some will debate this, I’ve witnessed for over a decade as fact.

Tltr: If you feel strongly about upgrading and wish to do so, consider everything above and backup, backup and backup. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Golden rule of computing: one backup is no backups; two backups is one backup.

Also: test your backups before erasing anything.

1 Like

Bingo. Per a former TechTV personality I know.

“One copy and the orginal is a copy. Two copies in two locations and the original is a backup.”

This was pre-cloud, referring to a cloned drive and a tape backup (if memory serves me). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice. I did go ahead and install 21.1 in the hopes that it would allow me to apply the code as given here: https://github.com/FrameworkComputer/linux-docs/blob/main/LinuxMint21-1-Manual-Setup-12thGen.md

However, I encountered a similar issue as I did previously, getting this output (I assume an error someplace in there?). Screenshot attached:

In fact, I was never prompted for my password, which the install guide suggested I would be. What am I missing here?

Looks like one of Mint’s repositories is not cooperating. Try sudo apt update again to ping them and see if the error is persistant.

ok, problem solved. Just had to reboot first before attempting to apply updates. All good now, thanks for the help everyone.

2 Likes