Linux on USB-C hard drive expansion card

I am trying to use Pop OS on USB C expansion card hard drive, I am having issues because suddenly it stop working, I got messages that the hard drive is in read only mode, I wonder if any of you are experiencing similar issues or were able to properly setup the OS on this type of hard drive?

Which Linux distro are you using?

Pop OS

Which release version?
24.04 LTS

Which Framework Laptop 13 model are you using? 11th Gen Intel® Core™)

Look into USB Power Management. Something aimed at efficiency may have decided that your external storage device can be put into low-power or sleep mode, and that breaks using it as the host for your OS.

Thanks for your reply, you mean in the BIOS or somewhere else?

I would advise NOT putting high small IO workloads i.e Primary OS on USB enclosures in general for general purpose OS’s at least. The USB controller chips that interface with NVME/SATA/Flash in the drives are often cheap and have bugs. Something like an immutable OS (Fedora Atomic Desktops/Bazzite/Batocera etc - are fine because they are designed for this. If you ARE going to proceed knowing these risks with USB to Storage controllers with a general purpose OS. Then I advise tuning and keeping your filesystem to ext4 OR xfs with checksums. Although really - until atomic storage level writes become common and cheap enough in consumer hardware nothing is safe.

Thanks for the advice, actually it is fine, my main operating system is on the internal hard drive, I just need to test things i dont want to install on my main OS.