You all might recall a post complaining about the loose hinge of a batch 4 framework. After contacting Framework support again, Framework provided me with replacement hinges. As Framework could not ship these directly to South Korea, I had to use a shipping service company in the US to get them. It took about a week and a half and 9 dollars to get the hinge replacements.
I followed the official hinge replacement guide. I was surprised by how straightforward the process was. I only had slight trouble getting the right small screw out as it was right next to a magnet.
One of the biggest complaints about my machine just happened to be an unfortunate defect that made it out of QC. Twenty minutes later, I had the system back up and running, and the difference was night and day. What felt like a wet noodle is now sturdy as a brick while still smooth enough to open with one hand. It feels just as good, if not better, than my sister’s MacBook air and my mother’s LG gram.
While this is a positive outcome from Framework’s support team, I have some gripes I would like to share.
If you read carefully, you may have noticed that this was my second time contacting framework about my hinges.
The first time I asked if these hinges were standard, I sent this demonstrative video.
Initially, framework support claimed that this was normal behavior, saying that the framework laptop was designed to be used on a desk. If I was not satisfied with the hinges, they said I should wait to purchase heavier hinges in production.
However, the proper hinges I have now will not allow the display to move regardless of how I move the machine. I can shake the device reasonably, and the hinges are solid.
My initial video should have been enough to warrant a replacement, or support should have at least asked for a better example. If I had not gone back to Korea and used my laptop on my bed, I would have used a defective product and complained about its hinges until the new harder ones were released.
Once I convinced Framework a part was defective, they swiftly took action to correct it. But proving effectiveness was not as easy as it should have been, in my opinion. So that is my two cents.
I hope this can shed some light on some of the issues I’ve had. I hope by the time I receive my upgrade kit, most of the kinks will be smoothed out.
I hope you all have a splendid day.