MacOS on Framework laptop?

I’ve been working with MacBook Pro for A long time and I really don’t wanna go back to windows :sweat: when I switch to framework. I don’t want to buy the new macbooks ore Mac mini’s because they make them less and less upgradable and unable to do any maintenance on them at all.
If a working mackintosh install would be possible on framework I will stick to framework forever.

3 Likes

Well a hackentosh installation can work really well. So, guess it is possible. It all depends on what hardware you use.

I understand your views. The only reason I am really hoping for a hackintosh solution is that I’ve worked with and support windows for about 20 years professionally. I switched to Mac when Steve was still alive. Loved the MacBook and never want to go back to windows. Now I only buy the old mid 2012 MacBook Pro’s because that was the last model that allowed me to replace the battery, hdd and mem. I only have a windows machine for VR and I hate it now. I’ve tried to figure out Linux and got stuck every single time. (My experience, you need to have an expert level knowledge in order to troubleshoot problems you run into at the beginning) so there is a lot of hesitancy with windows and Linux.

Absolutely, my high school required iPads, and for the most part, that locked me into iMesaage. I don’t enjoy Apple products, yet I need to keep my iPad around for iMessage, and I even bought a Mac to run

on my Android phone. Apple certainly knows how to get money out of their users.

Would love to hear about someone who did this! I know some people who want to switch, but are held back by the ecosystem (goddamnit apple), so if this works well it would be very exciting!

1 Like

Why would an unsupported macOS hackintosh on a laptop with an unspoppurted cpu that is more expensive than theirs be exciting? For real question. Also, thinking that further forward compatibility of macOS will ever happen on Intel is very unrealistic. If some day Risc V or something materializes on Framework and Apple happens to support it, that $1000 you spent on either laptop will be ancient (as in a decade ago) news. Sorry, but just the truth.

2 Likes

Why? Because Macbooks are soldered together and very expensive to repair. No, this will never happen, but that’s why people would want to.

3 Likes

AppleCare+ is super cheap. They are actually some of the cheapest computers to own and repair when properly purchased. What my Framework does and what my MacBook Air does are two completely different things. Comparing them is ridiculous. Like using a wrench to hammer a nail. Also, they are not “soldered together” – ther are currently a SOC. Not quite solder. :wink:

2 Likes

The short asnwer is: try if you’re really curious, and at the very least you will learn a lot about your hardware, how the EFI boot works, and why there is no other reason other than curiosity to try to run this OS.
The long version:
I’ve tried to run MacOS on non-Apple devices multiple (and I mean too many) times, with little success; and I’ve had the advantage of experiencing the real thing at work, since I had a 2015 27’’ iMac as my work computer (now replaced by a PC), so I could also compare performances between the native and the non-native installation. I’ve always been intrigued by all the “success stories” that I’ve read (and seen on Youtube) about people installing MacOS on Virtual Machines (on QEMU), or even on bare metal, and then I’ve always thought to myself “Wow, what prevents me to do the same?”.
Yes, I’ve succeeded in getting MacOS up and running (only on VM, never on bare metal), but always with some kind of issue or another, and almost always related to hardware issues. Yes, there are many guides out there that suggest how to apply fixes or to troubleshoot things, but for some reason nothing ever worked and I had to spend an unreasonable amount of time figuring out by myself what was wrong, ending up patching packages an breaking QEMU just to keep MacOS “barely” running. And, finally, even when I managed to make it work almost decently, I’ve had too many issues when installing software: XCode would install, but it crashed too often; and Garage Band wouldn’t even install.
And I forgot to mention the performances: not unreasonable, but at the same time you can definitely feel that it’s not “the real thing”. And at that point you can’t justify all the efforts you put into something that “barely works”.
Ultimately, when I realised that I do not really need MacOS, I concluded that it’s not worth the effort; or, as mentioned, at the very least it’s an huge exercise in troubleshooting VM-related issues, and certainly is a learning journey.
If, for some unconceivable reason, I will need that OS and that technology in the future, I’ll swallow my pride and buy a product from a company that I don’t like very much - i.e. I hate what Apple does, what it represents, and how has influenced the rest of the consumer tech industry, and that’s one of the reasons why I’m buying a Framework.

6 Likes

Also Apple will blacklist MAC hardware addresses inside icloud if they suspect it’s a hackintosh. I too have had much experience with building and using them, to the point that when Apple were making shit I was using one, for about 4 years, as my main machine. Eventually they locked out my app store access and itunes and otherwise made life hell.

2 Likes

Well the only reason I want to move away from apple is because: its not upgradable, not self repairable, and most of the components are soldered on the board. So since framework resolves all those issues, yes it would be great if I could run my most comfortable OS on it that would be great. I dont want windows because its absolute crap and I havent had much luck learning linux.

I have just received my Framework laptop and I have Mac OS running in a docker, via GitHub - sickcodes/Docker-OSX: Run macOS VM in a Docker! Run near native OSX-KVM in Docker! X11 Forwarding! CI/CD for OS X Security Research! Docker mac Containers. on Ubuntu 22.04. I am still struggling to get the keyboard layout to be as a Mac layout (decades of muscle memory), but for compiling the occasional app it seems to be fine.

2 Likes

@Johan_Henselmans, what kind of battery life are you getting with the docker-based macOS?
I had mine running through Sosumi on Fedora for a little while, but while running it I was stuck with 1600 x 900 for resolution and got maybe an hour and a half of battery, which made it unusable.

I now use GitHub - kholia/OSX-KVM: Run macOS on QEMU/KVM. With OpenCore + Big Sur + Monterey support now! Only commercial (paid) support is available now to avoid spammy issues. No Mac system is required. and Ubuntu 22.04 as the basis, with Mac Os 12.4 running on it. I have installed XCode today, with battery. 6 hours later I forgot I had it on, assumed it was dead an hooked it up to the mains. Turned out I still had 26 percent battery power left, so it might be better.

The docker type is actually a repackaging of this project, so it might be a little less overhead.

Johan

1 Like

Partial success, I’ve installed MacOS Monterey directly onto my Framework!
There are still a lot of things that don’t work, notably Hardware Acceleration (resolution, backlight) and Sound.
You can find my EFI here: GitHub - cowpod/Framework-Hackintosh: MacOS Monterey on the Framework Laptop.

5 Likes

It sounds great. How did you install the MacOS Monterey? Did you install it from the DVD rom or the network install? I don’t know Hackintosh.

1 Like

As a fellow MBP user who decided to move out because of the unfriendly practices of Apple in terms of repairability, maintainance and lock-in, I completely understand your need to move. After close to a decade on the MBP, I’ve moved to Framework. Had dual-booted with Windows 11 and Slackware Linux for a while but now have moved to only Linux with Windows on a VM for when required.

Modern Linux still needs to catch up in terms of user-friendliness, but switching to Linux from MacOS was easy enough and everything works out of the box for me. Apologies for the long post, but please do take a look at distributions like Fedora and Ubuntu.

2 Likes

Just go and get the Air M2 and be done with it.

1 Like

I used the Dortania guide to put a MacOS Recovery environment on a USB stick.

Oh it very much is an on metal install. Though it’s nearly unusable due to an unsupported iGPU and Audio (IDT chip is supported, but not Intel Smart Sound?).
I just can’t seem to get AppleALC to load properly. I’ve changed the Smart-Sound device-id, and the AppleALC/Lilu log shows the IDT chipset is detected, but apart from that there’s no sound whatsoever. Maybe a new controller patch is required…

1 Like

All good. Deleted my comment, as it could’ve been interpreted as inflammatory.

1 Like