MacOS on Framework laptop?

If you want the Mac OS, buy into their ecosystem. Plain and simple.

2 Likes

Not really so simple though; if you’re willing to put in the effort, and use Intel 10th generation hardware, you can get a nearly fully functional MacOS installation.
The XPS 13 9300 is actually really good - that was my previous laptop.

Honestly, I’m considering going back, given the numerous hardware issues I’ve had. One died on me, then had to replace a motherboard due to constant throttling, current one has trackpad and hinge issues.

…or maybe I’ll just get a Mac, as you said.

From bouncing between a 2012 Macbook Pro, a XPS 9380, XPS 9300, Framework, 2020 Razer Blade 13, and then a 2022 Macbook Air, I realized I don’t really care about repairability, if the price for that repairability is constant downtime and underperformance.

Honestly, I loved my framework for the first month or so. Until I noticed the tradeoffs I had to make for this repairability. IMO $1400+ for a compromised laptop experience is unacceptable, even if I can swap out parts when they break or arrive broken (under warranty).

If you’ve had no issues with your framework, then please keep it. By far, the framework is a better hardware experience than most other laptops out there, if you’re not unlucky with Q/C. But I personally don’t have time or patience to deal with these things :confused:

Honestly, for me repairability and sustainability go together.

It’s great that you bought the Framework laptop for repairability, but I feel a bit disappointed about the sheer amount of laptops you switch in between. This has nothing to do with sustainability for me.

Sure, at the end of day what matters is that you can get the job done, if that’s not the case with a Framework, then it’s only fair game for you not to use it.

Also the ability to even run macOS in a VM, especially since Apple tries so hard to prevent it, is a victory of Linux and it’s open source ecosystem.

I have a Windows 11 VM running buttersmooth on my laptop for the few times in a year where I need it. I never need to fear about it breaking because making a snapshot just takes 1 second,- it’s a CopyOnWrite (CoW) concept after all.

Thanks for testing out Framework and hope to see you again some day!

3 Likes

Has anyone used MacOS under KVM? I wish to test it out but I don’t want to download a few GBs just to discover it won’t work.

1 Like

Qemu macosx works

It will make your system blow lots of air, maybe i can tune qemu to use more cores or be more efficient.

3 Likes

I had that same rationale over the past decade. What changed was when I had to replace the battery on my OG MacBook Pro Retina due to swelling. The complexity and difficulty of removing a glued-in battery pack that’s on its way to catastrophic explosive failure put a harsh reality check on my wanting a new MBP, because with my rMBP I can still replace the storage (via m.2 SATA adapters from Aliexpress, though I’m still using the OG SSD) and battery, but Apple completely locked down the component supply chains thereafter. All the latest Mac hardware have everything locked behind Apple-proprietary hardware and software DRM.

When - not if - your shiny Mac laptop breaks, you cannot send it to any third-party repair shop to get it fixed, you cannot even send it to Rossmann Group (because they certainly won’t be able to fix any of the newer Apple stuff), you must go to Apple and pay dearly for their substandard repairs. Fun fact: a lot of the time they won’t even bother repairing it, they simply give you a new replacement, trash your old one, and call it a day; this is why one of Apple’s warnings involve backing up all your data, but with Apple you’re very unlikely to get your old one back. This isn’t hyperbole or “you’re just making things up” - I experienced this firsthand with the 2016 12" MacBook Retina “repair” and the only broken part was the display.

It’s like being told your HP inkjet must use their extremely overpriced, low quality, low capacity ink cartridges that clog frequently because, like Epson, their printer hardware have proprietary chips and enforced with software DRM - not because the print quality will be better.

The repairability is the reason that I’m willing to deal with the idiosyncrasies and lack of cohesiveness of my Framework Laptop. Apple’s laptops with their M-series chips are awesome… up until they need to be serviced (which they inevitably will), at which point none of all that awesomeness can be justified.

Heck, my last major hardware purchase was a mechanical keyboard from Kickstarter that runs on, get this, four AA batteries rather than the usual rechargeable Li-ion battery.

5 Likes

Has anyone been able to run a mac os patched version on one of these?

As far as I am aware, no such version exists.

I am running osx in kvm, but this not allowed by the Apple EULA.

Works fine but I wouldn’t purchase a framework for that. The battery life is poor, graphics slow and x86 is eol for Apple.

1 Like

So the docker type does support gpu acceleration?

you talk about:

?
Cause thats basicly virtualisation, and you still need a extra GPU for your acceleration to work. I dont think thats patching MacOSX at all.

1 Like

I mean speaking from a theoretical point of view and for educational purposes. If youre willing to stick to the last update that supports Intel CPUs (Monterey ideally - or Ventura - at the time of writing)

Then It doesn’t seem impossible to get this working or even to have an image that would work across people’s devices. Especially if the upcoming frameworks have AMD dGPUs.

There’s opencore and clover and all sorts out there, gather the drivers, spoof the CPU, use the AMD GPU. The first person to do it could make their resources available and make a guide. It could spawn it’s own subcommunity but - it does need someone who’d be willing to be the first.

Personally I’d think it’d be interesting to see, if there’s a will then there’s a way to get a somewhat functional Frameworktosh (or Macwork) laptop working. But I have the feeling that people wouldn’t want to try and make that a thing due to the reasons stated here.

1 Like

It probably be here, hackingtosh community or maybe both, all. Atleast Im curious and trying to understand the XNU kernel, PureDarwin might be a first step (besides emulation)

2 Likes

Reviving this thread.

With the new Framework 13 using an AMD Ryzen chip, is it possible to run Mac OS on it in a partition? Or, years ago there was a thing called Boot Camp that (I think) allowed you to run Mac on a windows computer. Is that still a thing?

Run it via proxmox.

The low entry cost to m1/m2 systems, and their decent performance in recent years have pretty much rendered Hackintosh to the hobby department.

(I run Ventura via OCLP on a mac pro 5,1 just for fun, and keep the hardware out of landfills.)

1 Like

What’s the learning curve for this? I’m several years removed from monkeying around on Windows computers.

It was the opposite. Boot Camp let you run Windows on an Intel Mac. As Intel Macs are no longer being produced, it’s no longer a thing.

2 Likes

Low in the grand scheme of things.

1 Like