Matte screen protector

@nrp thanks for that link, just ordered a sample pack from them to trial on my soon-to-be-shipped (just got the e-mail!) Framework.

Also found another possible source to consider at Custom Size Anti-Glare Screen Protection Films. Less variety from them but seems to be a bit less costly also

3 Likes

Great! Let us know how it goes. Another one that we haven’t tested but is preparing correctly sized matte protectors: Framework Screen Protectors

9 Likes

Thanks for that, @nrp! I just also ordered a sample and may order one of they look good.

2 Likes

@nrp Thank you for the links. I am going to wait until I get my unit and see the screen, as I do generally prefer a mate one. It may well be that the screen is fine as is. Only an in person viewing experience counts

But knowing that I have aftermarket options just in case is great!

3 Likes

I haven’t looked at any vendors yet. For my phone I use a Skinomi screen protector, but they don’t do custom sizes, unfortunately.

Will check out the links that you and @A_L provided.

1 Like

Finally got around to applying the sample pack from Photodon (Film & Privacy Filter Sample Packs, select the “Anti-glare samples”), I’m not the best photographer by any means but in case some impression can be conveyed I’ll put some of the images here. Short of it is that there are progressively matte-ier anti-glare films that they offer: MXH (25% glare reduction), MXT (50%), MXG (85%), and 5HS (85%, with a shock-absorbing feature). To my eyes under conditions where glare is a significant factor (dark backgrounds in ambient light, or even bright backgrounds in bright sunlight) it seemed that MXH had only a marginal effect, MXT and MXG were similar in glare reduction (and between them a slight edge to MXT in the truness of color passing through), and 5HT was a bit much (also a particularly thick film that seemed a little harder to apply).

TL,DR: MXT seems like a good balance between glare reduction and keeping the screen’s colors true and edges sharp

Obtaining and testing the sample pack this way was not at all difficult, it’s addeda few days but I feel more comfortable after seeing it with my own eyes, so feel it was worth it. It is reasonably cheap at $5 and you can apply that toward a full screen protector purchase if you decide to go ahead with it later.

Please don’t mind the reflected images of me and my brother in the following!

Dark background in ambient light:
all at once (clockwise from upper left: MXH, MXT, 5HS, MXG)

Can see right away that the MXG and 5HT essentially obliterate the reflection

MXH only:

Some reflection over the protector but less so

MXT only:

The color balance on the camera decided to change, but to the eye perceptibly less reflection than MXH

MXG only:

Essentially no reflection at all

5HS only:

Again no reflection at all

Dark multicolor background in sunlight:
all at once (clockwise from upper left: MXH, MXT, 5HS, MXG)

The amount of matte-ishness is not totally fair here since the angle of the sunlight was not quite square on, take with a grain of salt eg the apparent dullness over the MXH vs the 5HS

MXH only:

Pretty good amount of glare reduction but still can see reflection fairly clearly; colors appear unaffected

MXT only:

More reflection reduction but still vaguely visible, no appreciable change in colors

MXG only:

Basically complete reflection reduction, but some dullness in the colors

5HS only:

Similar to the MXG but with a bit more color clarity

22 Likes

Did you order the MXT? Or anything? In looking back at this thread, I’m confused about what size would be correct to order. Seemed like the active panel area and the inside dimensions of the bezel cutout were a bit off. I would think that ordering a mm or two larger than the bezel opening would be the way to go, in order to hide the edges under the bezel.

We must have ordered the same package, as I have the same four samples, and agree with your assessment. MXT looks like it is the best balance. For whatever reason, my 5HS sample doesn’t seem to have a front film. Weird stuff.

2 Likes

We got in touch with the folks at Photodon, and are working with them on matte films sized for the Framework Laptop. More on this soon!

45 Likes

@nrp That’s great!

@N.P I did end up ordering the MXT, although my thought about the sizing was a little different - my mistake for not looking more closely, but I assumed the bezel was already flush with the screen so I went with “cover the active area but leave a little bit of room between protector and bezel to squeeze out air bubbles” and ordered 284mm×189mm (the custom orders can be made to the nearest mm only)

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. So there is definitely underlap between the screen and bezel?

1 Like

@N.P I haven’t opened it up to verify, but fwiw I can barely fit the thickness of a sheet of paper between the screen and the bevel on each side (and on the bottom not even that), so putting down a screen protector big enough to extend beyond the bezel I’m a little concerned may disrupt how the bezel sits. @nrp any chance of a hint of how you are arranging with Photodon to do the officially-blessed version?

2 Likes

I’ll be keeping my eye the film thanks @nrp

1 Like

Just wanted to add to the thread that I’ve just applied a matte lite film from Via Screens (Framework Laptop 13.5 Screen Protector - Matte Lite) and I’m quite happy with it.

Overall there is still some reflectivity but it’s definitely reduced and glare is significantly better. I feel like I meant to buy the “regular” matte one but I’ll take what I got gladly. Now no more worrying about my keyboard touching the screen either.

9 Likes

Happy to hear your experience! It seems here is the top page of the screen protectors for the Framework Laptop on the website. I just found the tweet.

3 Likes

What is paper? I can figure out matte vs matte light but I don’t understand what paper is supposed to be.

1 Like

Paper-like texture I’m guessing, but also matte

1 Like

@themachine Question about the Via Screens protector, when you apply it did you have to take the bezel off or does it sit fully within the borders of the bezel? Thanks!

1 Like

@sidewayz Paper screen protectors are useful for people who use stylii, especially for drawing. They have a paper-like texture when touched, which I imagine would be also good for diffusing glare. I just ordered one for my iPad since I was already ordering a Framework matte protector.

4 Likes

Given that the bezel is magnetic, and thus easily removed/replaced, what about a screen protector/privacy film that is built into a swappable bezel? It would eliminate the need to adhere anything to the screen, and could possibly keep thickness to a minimum.

8 Likes

Could work, but I would worry about clarity if the film isn’t adhered to the screen itself.

1 Like