Matte screen protector

I thought this might be of interest. I ordered the matte screen protector from Via. The one I received was slightly too wide to fit inside the bezel and would not lay flat so I wrote to Via and and requested a replacement. They replied yesterday saying they have updated the design of the Framework protector and the changes were approved by Framework. No details beyond that and I’m awaiting delivery of a new one.

1 Like

Jonathan, try removing the bezel before applying the screen protector. My guess is the move was made after testing indicated that having the screen protector beneath the bezel poses no risk to the display panel.

1 Like

@Enjewneer Amazon.com

2 Likes

I saw this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/celicious-Anti-Glare-Protector-Compatible-Framework/dp/B09DR4W9ZQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=matte+screen+protector+framework&qid=1633471592&sr=8-3

4 Likes

it’s a good sign that major retailers like Amazon are starting to see products marketed specifically towards Framework!

5 Likes

Any update on the official listing? I was thinking of just using these dimensions to order a custom sized MXT from Photodon.

1 Like

I got my ViaScreens matte cover today, and immediately set about installing it.

Screen #1: Went well until I realized I lined the protector flush with one corner of the screen instead of centering it. No problem, they sent two screens, and the first one went surprisingly smoothly. Now that I have experience, the second should be a piece of cake, right?

Screen #2: Lined it up perfectly… and then yanked the entire protector off when attempting to peel off the surface protector.

0 for 2. Time to put in another order…

3 Likes

This is way too easy to do lol, luckily I was able to reapply it since I’d only lifted part of it off.

1 Like

Yup. That’s how I ended up with one small speck of dust under the upper left corner. Didn’t bother trying to get it out as it’s close enough to the edge that it’s not an issue, and I didn’t want to risk getting more under there.

2 Likes

Just ordered a MXT: Medium matte finish from Photodon.

1 Like

Just dropping a note that Photodon.com Just added a Part # SKU for the framework screen protectors. 3409-01 This will make it easier to order and cheaper also because it is not a custom cut. The size for this is 285.5x190.5 with 1mm (square) Corners.

4 Likes

Anyone have a direct link for photodon? Framework 13.5-inch Laptop Privacy and Screen Protectors isn’t found.

2 Likes

try this it was just added today:
Framework 13.5

5 Likes

Cheers! I just happened to go checking before they updated.

1 Like

I got a matte Viascreens protector (took almost three weeks to get here. Thanks Royal Mail).

It looks sick. Seriously good - better I think than even the matte display on my X1. Better in person than the photos posted above. I 100% recommend it.

2 Likes

Photodon has been shipped.

1 Like

Well, I just destroyed my screen and protector during installation. $200 and one day wasted. If you’ll excuse me, I’m off to go bang my head through a wall.

It really is indefensible to not offer matte as a factory option.

2 Likes

I tend to concur. I’ve installed those things in other devices before, and while it is possible to successfully install them, it can be an absolute nightmare to do it, especially if you do it in a dry/dusty environment. A new matte option from factory should be at the top of framework’s list of priorities.

5 Likes

I just wanted to share my experience with Photodon, which was great. I bought their MXT screen protector and had them professionally install it. Don’t let the fact that installation being a “Request a quote” option scare you, their prices were quite reasonable. In fact a large portion of the cost (about 50%) was the shipping to and from Photodon (using Fedex Ground), rather than the cost of the screen protector and installation service itself.

I started with the quote (which I actually requested before buying the framework), and their support staff was awesome, especially given that I am just a consumer (not a business). When my framework came in I continued on with their support staff, to actually place and order and arrange the rest of it, real easy.

Finally, the quality of the screen protector and its installation. Absolutely no complaints here, its basically as if I had a matte screen from factory. While I would still prefer a matte screen option from factory, or a preinstalled matte screen protector option from framework, in that order, this is really the next best thing.

I would 100% recommend, especially if you are like me and the only thing you despise more than a glossy screen, is trying to install a freaking screen protector.

7 Likes

If anyone wants a ViaScreens protector (Matte Lite version) for their Framework, I have one sealed up that I didn’t need. $25 shipped in the US. Cost me $32 originally.

Thanks

1 Like