Max Output Resolution - External Monitor

Hello - What is the max output resolution of the DIY laptop? I’m running a 49" ultrawide at 5120 x 1440 via USB-C directly out from my current laptop. Will this be achievable with the DIY laptop?

For background, I’m currently running a Surface Pro 7 with a single USB-C cable connected to an LG 49WL95C-WE.

Ideally, I’ll be able to direct-connect to this same monitor without the use of any type of hub.

Thanks!
Jeff

1 Like

@Jeff_Thomas your monitor should be fine. We have tested up to 5k resolution monitors. And the processor should support up to a single 8K monitor using HBR3.

Since you are using usb-c directly should be no issue.
As a note - the HDMI expansion card does not support 8K.

4 Likes

I assume the DisplayPort alt mode is the common 1.4a version, not the new 2.0a one that was announced last year for eventual use in USB4?

Yes, DisplayPort 1.4, which is good for 8K 60Hz.

3 Likes

@CFG9000

To clarify further on @nrp’s behalf, the limitation is not the result of actions taken by Framework, rather it is a limitation of the chipset itself.

3 Likes

Interesting. So there is no point in making a HDMI 2.1 or a DP 2.0 expansion slot until a newer mainboard is released with a new chipset that can handle those speeds. Am I reading that correctly?

Another thought, if the expansion slots are using USB-C, assuming they are Thunderbolt 4 (I have no idea if they are), Thunderbolt 4 maxes out at 40 Gb/s. HDMI 2.1 is 48 Gb/s and DP 2.0 is 80Gb/s so I don’t think expansion slots would work even if the chipset supported it.

The exception here would be if the chipset supports DSC, which I believe it does since it is claiming 8K @ 60 hz over DP 1.4, which is only possible with DSC. Maybe someone at Framework can confirm this.

2 Likes

I believe 8k60 would use DSC, which is supported by 11th Gen Core Processors. DP 2.0 would not be possible on these CPUs, but could be on future platforms. HDMI 2.1 would depend on availability of a DP to HDMI bridge that supports it.

4 Likes

Anyone know if anything over 60FPS is possible at 5120 x 1440?
Through USBC or HDMI or DP?

5120x1440 is fewer pixels than 4K so 60Hz should be easily doable with HDMI or USB-C or DP.

There are a few DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapters available. I’m not sure if the chips can fit inside the Framework expansion card form factor.

• Realtek RTD2173 as used in the Club 3D CAC-1085 (and probably CAC-1586)
  • Synaptics VMM6100 as used in the Cable Matters 201388.

The question was about frame rates over 60Hz.
Using CVT-RB timing and 8bpc RGB, 5120x1440 should be possible with these connections:

• 75 Hz HDMI 2.0
  • 90Hz DisplayPort 1.2
  • 130Hz DisplayPort 1.4

But it depends on your display.

1 Like

Thanks
Yeah i’m not to concerned about it. I mainly use my ultrawide for work stuff.
I’m currently running it at 60hz from GTX760 and have no real need for higher FPS other than wanting to run it at full spec since i paid for it.
It can do up to 240Hz so I was curious how far above 60 it might go.
Looks like 130Hz maybe.

It depends on the drivers and resolution and pixel format and display. My calculations were for 8bpc RGB. DisplayPort can do 6,8,10,12,16bpc and HDMI can do the same except 6bpc.

You can reduce components per pixel (normally 3 components per pixel) by using chroma sub sampling 4:2:2 (16 components per 8 pixels) or 4:2:0 (12 components per 8 pixels). Chroma sub sampling throws away some color info (the color info has lower resolution than luminance info). So greyscale text should look ok but coloured text on coloured background will be blurry. Some displays don’t support chroma sub sampling. Chroma sub sampling might not be supported for some resolutions or refresh rates.

If DSC (visually lossless compression which looks much better than chroma sub sampling because it’s smarter about what info it throws away) is supported then that can effectively double or triple the allowed bandwidth. I think in macOS the bandwidth is doubled from 8bpc (24bpp) because DSC switches to 12bpc with 3:1 compression to 12bpp. I’m not sure how you would get that info in Windows or Linux.

Hello,
one more question regarding external monitors:
If I understand it correctly Tiger Lake supports up to 4x4k60.
If I connect 2x4k monitors it would drive them with up to 120Hz each via DP (but prob. only if I disable the integrated display)?
Thanks a lot!

Great timely question. I am looking at the Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 which seems to be close to if not what you have. Mine is for work (and astrophotography) as well. Did you get the giant monitor? How has it worked out? I have a 13 AMD version.