Monitor Recomendations

Hi All

I am currently rocking a Framework 13 AMD running Linux mint 21.3.

Im looking for a monitor/monitors with built in USB-C Dock. I want to be able to power the laptop from the monitor, as well as connect via DP Alt mode over USB-C to the monitor and possibly onto a second monitor.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this:

If so can you let me know how you got on with it?

To make things more interesting, im also running linux!

Also happy to look at alternatives if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks!

I run a Dell U3223QE with stock Fedora 40. It’s essentially the same, but older and larger. If you can afford it, go for the 4K resolution and the IPS black panel. They aren’t necessary, but certainly make for a better experience, IMO. The dock just works. KVM works, but not like you might expect. You get 1 USB-C port and the second machine gets to use the USB-3.2 port along with a displayport/HDMI port. Only one machine can use the KVM + Ethernet port at once, the other losing the ethernet port (at the least) until it is switched back. You can use hotkeys, sort-of: https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/monitors/u2723qe-kvm-using-a-keyboard-shortcut-to-switch-in-linux/647fa06af4ccf8a8de56ccc8. I’d buy it again, and will for my wife’s setup.

I grabbed a 2nd hand LG 27UL850-W and am happy ever since. It only irked me a bit that they sell the USB ports as USB 3, but that means only the power supply; speed is USB 2 (still OK for backupses running in background). Pivot is nice to have for long lists etc.