My ssd bricked

My ssd (SN850 NVMe) bricked last night after a year of usage. How do i know if it was due to overheating? Also, what is the best way to go about recovering my data.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that :frowning:
Hard to tell if it comes from overheating…
You could look for obvious burn marks on the SSD, but even that does not necessarily mean that it overheated, maybe just a single cap or resistor was bad and burned out.

The only way to recover your data would be a repair shop that does data recovery / component level fixing i guess…

Are you sure that the SSD is the issue though?
Does your FW work with a different SSD?
Does the faulty SSD work in another system?

2 Likes

Depending on how the hdd is damaged and how big it is it may not be possible to recover much/any of it.

I always suggest people to read about the 3-2-1 backup strategy but sadly you’ll only know you need it once you lost your data.

I agree with @Simon_F, take it to a repair shop that has a good rating and see if anything can be saved. But expect not to get much out of it. Also it costs a lot of money

Also: Do not try to recover it yourself, unless you really know what you’re doing. Because you could damage it even more.

Overheating seems unlikely. SSD’s are designed to throttle down to prevent such damage. Are you certain it is the hardware and not software related?