My WiFi download speed is substantially reduced when using my framework in clamshell, has anyone else experienced this?

As the title states. Just something I noticed recently. Using my laptop in clamshell my download speed goes down from 350mbps to sub 10mbps.

I had a MacBook previously which is also a metal laptop and that never had the same issue.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

We need to move this to Community support, are you using an Intel mainboard or AMD?

Hello,

I am using AMD 7840U.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Wesley_Stagg ,

Try turning your laptop in a different orientation or move it from that position. Most laptops have their antenna in the display because it is normally vertically oriented. Hence the better signal quality.

When the cover is flat it is probably in line with the signal source which reduces the effectiveness of signal reception. You could try propping up the laptop; even if it is at a 15 degree angle will help with signal quality.

The antennas are fairly blocked by the metal of the lid and base when the lid is closed. They really only have the plastic part of the hinge to get any signal out of if the laptop is not open.

See the two black rectangles behind the screen.

Depending on many factors such as frequency 2.4 or 5GHz, access point placement, obstructions, other access points in the area you may see small or large drops in performance.

1 Like

Thanks, I will try in a different room/location to see if is a localised issue in my office.

Will update with findings