Need help diagnosing performance(?) issues with eGPU

Howdy!

I finally managed to get my eGPU setup to work (kinda?), but I am not quite seeing the performance I was expecting in games. I have the i7-1165G7 model paired with an RX 6700XT in a Core X Chroma, yet I am not even getting a stable 60FPS in Rocket League at 1080P and minimum settings for example. My xorg setup is fairly simple (no PRIME) and I have disabled my internal gpu and monitor. Does anyone have any ideas about what could be negatively impacting the performance or how I could try to diagnose this problem? Please feel free ask for any additional information.

Thanks,
smkuehnhold

Sounds like a CPU or Bandwith bottleneck to me. They’re very common with e-GPUs from what I hear. Something around a 2060 is where performance starts to get bottlenecked. Sorry I can’t help with more though, not too experienced with eGPUs outside of reading.

1 Like

Appreciate the reply :slight_smile:. That is the worst fear, but what has me hoping is that I am not seeing much of a difference between the iGPU and eGPU in practice, which doesn’t seem quite right…

1 Like

That does seem very strange to be honest, have you looked at a system monitor during gameplay? See what hardware is being maxed out? A easy way to see a GPU bottleneck is just to see if it’s running at near to 100% or not.

1 Like

I have looked with a few different tools (e.g. radeontop), but to be honest I didn’t really know what to look for. At the very least, I can tell you that the egpu is doing some work. I suppose I could try to run a benchmark or something and see if I get close to 100% utilization?

As an aside, I know some others in this community have been successful with similar setups. If you are one of those people, I would very thankful if you share some details on the kind of performance you are seeing. Then at the very least I can confirm my performance is within the ballpark of what is expected.

1 Like