Niche expansion cards

Maybe I missed something, but where is enough space to mount a 2.5" drive?

Expansion bay on the 16th model. It would only be extremely niche (e.g., dizzyness-prevention on a flight, etc) in cases where a horizon isnt easily obtainable, to make/get a artificial horizon.

Donā€™t most laptop hdds you can still buy allready have built in g sensors for head parking anyway? Pretty sure the last few I had had it and even a few of my nas drives have g sensors.

But on another note, where would you even fit a 2.5inch hdd? If you want to stick one in an expansion bay, that is going to give your laptop a huge ass XD.

A crappy dramless 2tb ssd can be had for 80-90 bucks around here (intel 670por kingston nv2 for example, there were a couple even cheaper no-name ones), so the price difference at that capacity is really not worth it. Especially considering the ssd, even the shitty ones are going to be a lot higher performance and much more power efficient than their hdd counterparts.

Why not just use your phone for that?

1 Like

Hereā€™s a niche expansion card Iā€™d love to see: a pair of Toslink connectors (input, output) capable of S/PDIF and ADAT formats (even better if it can support different clock speeds and sample rate conversion).

That one feature right there would be pretty amazing for a lot of creators. I canā€™t tell you how many different pieces of equipment I have (not just pro audio gear, but consumer electronics too) that support digital audio over toslink optical ports.

Being able to have a digital audio stream flow in and out of the system with just a small expansion card would be outrageously cool. Even cooler if it supported higher sample rates with S/MUX or could aggregate multiple cards together to be seen in the OS as a single device. Having 24 I/O of ADAT lightpipe connected to my laptop without a substantial external audio interface?

But I acknowledge, thatā€™s a VERY niche interest. And anyone who needs that kind of digital I/O probably already has adequate interfaces.

1 Like

intriguing.
To me it seems like most ā€œlaptop specific driveā€ is just slim 7mm tall ones rather than regular 9mm. They fail even more faster than 9mms.

I have no idea they have it.

Expansion bay. Which I think is doable.
If I am to design the enclosure, I would include a massive buldge at the bottom so to allow that crazy person to cram in a U.2. Which I believe is 1615mm tall. Although U.2 doesnā€™t work with SATAs.

The U.2 connector can support sata. The main issue with u.2 ssds in laptops (appart from the size) is the much higher power consumption.

2 Likes

I would love a FrameWork-equivalent of the Mogo X54 mouse, maybe with a bit of fold-engineering and definitely with a good quality capacitor instead of a LiPo. Iā€™m kinda surprised it isnā€™t brought up more often. It combines a portable wireless mouse with presenter features, even a laser pointer built in. My wife is still holding on to her X200 because of the ExpressCard54 slot and Mogo X54 mouse.

Sometime speed isnā€™t everythingā€¦ sometimes I just need large slow cheap storage.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s a shame is that the built-in 3.5mm headset jack could have had optical at least for out, like the older MacBook Pros did, using a cable like Amazon.com to connect to better equipment.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what external hard-drives are for.

Was browsing Crowd Supply and came across this device that almost looks like it was designed as a Framework expansion card. It has USB-C passthrough as well as UART over USB-C

4 Likes

LTE card that supports high speed. better range then a phone would be a plus. For those of us who work out in a field in remote areas we always fight for connection

1 Like

An expansion card which contains a tiny, built- in mouse.

The HP Omnibook did this back in the day; It just slots into the side of the casing:

Not even wireless! No modern laptop has this, you are forced to use track-pads or bring an external mouse with you.

10 Likes

Iā€™d like a security key expansion card.

I currently have a yubikey usb a into a usb A expansion bay. It sits pretty flush.

Not as flush as a security key designed for the expansion bay would be. It could have a metal capacitive surface for the touch input.

a tiny, wireless built-in mouse.
I can make that work!

1 Like

To add to that: they suck up to 25 W, which is the equivalent of a second CPU worth of power consumption. Heat dissipation is going to be the primary concern though assuming the power problem is moot (i.e., the laptop will be plugged in).

Some U.2 drives (e.g, Micron 7100) require just 9 W average and can be configured with a power draw cap (e.g., 4 W for a Micron 7100). For comparison, M.2 drives are typically capped at 11.5 W and typically draw far less peak power. Itā€™s interesting to note that Sabrentā€™s blog post addressing the power draw limits of M.2 notes that in a future spec, M.2 may get its power draw limit lifted to 30 W for the sake of power-hungry PCIe 5.0 SSDs.

1 Like

@Josh_Cook
What do you think ?

1 Like

If you are planning for a large enough volume to do custom tooling, your product will have copyright issues with Apple.

1 Like

@Josh_Cook Yes I might if Iā€™m selling them right ? But if I donā€™t, how can I have copyright issues only by creating a 3D design of it?

Youā€™ve got a couple issues at hand: patent and trademark:

Unless permitted by the patent owner, one commits patent infringement by making, using, offering to sell, or selling something that contains every element of a patented claim or its equivalent while the patent is in effect. source

Appleā€™s patent status on MagSafe 3 is not immediately clear, but itā€™s almost certain that at least some part of it is covered by one of their patents.

The second issue will be one of Trademark infringement. Apple owns the trademark to ā€œMagSafeā€, so using that that term to refer to a product, even a free one that you are not selling, would be trademark infringement.

Iā€™m not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. I highly recommend you get advice from a lawyer before continuing to avoid running afoul of Appleā€™s big team of lawyers.

4 Likes