Niche expansion cards

how about a Micro streamdeck 2 or 3 buttons and it comes down the side of the laptop

6 Likes

I was thinking of this videoā€™s RF receiver for mice and other peripherals but also add a NanoUSB-HUB like the one from Muxtronics on Tindie. Allowing for a (pretty size limited) receiver to be plugged into a USB 2.0 port and then a USB type C still comes out of the side of the expansion card. So 2 usb devices one of which is user mounted inside the expansion card and the other can be plugged in.

• Spy camera.
  • Scrollable wheel to control volume, brightness or anything really.
  • Joke button that gives you a small electric shock if you press it, like those pens.
  • Magnet to attach eg. a pen or just random metal stuff.
  • Temperature/pressure/humidity sensors.
  • IR emitter/receiver.
26 Likes

I am in the Army, and I would love to see a Smart Card Reader expansion card. The problem is I think itā€™ll be two of these expansion cards together to be able to fit a PIV or a CAC into it. The other issue with that is that in this form factor (13.5") there is that pillar between the expansion modules that would keep you from building a double card to stick a smart card reader into. We might need a redesign or even a 15-16" model for that to work.

5 Likes

I want to tape a Framework mainboard to the front of a VR headset to use it as a thin client to stream VR to via something like Steam Link in the future

• wide-angle camera on the ā€œundersideā€ face of a conventional expansion card for inside-out tracking

• gyroscope module forā€¦ wellā€¦ orientation tracking.

if these could be incorporated into one module that would mean another two available ports for something like DP out to two displays in the headset. power would come from the boardā€™s battery connector from the headsetā€™s power.

2 Likes

At least this one you can use with other USB-C computers as well, even that fruity one with the too close ports.

5 Likes

Might as well mention it again now that Iā€™m about to start prelim CAD work on it: AI Accelerator Card.

7 Likes

Yep, I would like to work on the electronics but currently Ethernet is a higher focus.

5 Likes

Totally understand. Hopefully Iā€™ll be able to make significant headway in the meantime, but glad to know youā€™re on board and I have you and this entire community to turn to for help should I need it.

A XQD/CFExpress card reader. The card format is present today in a lot of professional cameras and I think itā€™ll work well in a laptop with a 3:2 100% sRGB display. A CompactFlash reader is welcome too.

2 Likes

An SD card reader with the plug-in part recessed under the computer.

1 Like

That sounds great, but I donā€™t think the dimensions would allow it for full-size SD cards.

That sounds great, but I donā€™t think the dimensions would allow it for full-size SD cards.

Iā€™d be ok with micro-SD only. I just donā€™t want the card sticking out the side of the computer.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a heathen that only uses microSD, and my old Chromebook had a micro slot that was recessed and spring-loaded. I was really hoping Frameworkā€™s would be too, but since itā€™s not, I may work on it myself, That having been said, I do have two much bigger fish to fry when it comes to expansion card projects, and Iā€™m just starting on the first of those, so itā€™ll probably be a while if it ends up solely on my shoulders.

An interface to run linuxcnc machines might be nice. Maybe interface with Mesa or other I/O cards?

2 Likes

Ethernet port, Smart Card Reader, Yubikey

Other things to grow into - Extra large battery (like the Thinkpads used to have), touchscreen, some sort of MIL-STD 810G rating, 5G connection, TB 4.0, Framework specific eGPU / docking station / mouse / keyboard

4 Likes

A fingerprint sensor/power button, but on the side of the machine, so I can use it while the lid is closed when using it docked.

4 Likes

Ethernet is nearly done.

9 Likes

Iā€™m with you on that one. Re-packed Bitscope Micro would be epic, but a buspirate will do.

1 Like

gas / humidity / other air/environment analyser

spy cam - ordinary webcam, just in an unsuspected location

SDR

Flashlight, with uv as well as white leds

Hidden flash drive. Flash drive packed into the enclosure with a usb port, and the usb port is functional as a normal usb port. The flash drive is hidden unless enabled somehow, maybe by holding a magnet in proximity, or by inserting a special usb dongle, or by pressing a sequence of buttons on your carā€™s normal key fob, or ??? all kinds of ways, physically tap a pattern anywhere on the laptop or the table near it, etcā€¦

Emergency single breath mint and few drops of cologne. Or you know, the other thing.

Multicolor pen and mechanical pencil. The stupidder the arrangement the better.

Spare blank keycap

Pick of Destiny

9 Likes