Not full battery capacity on brand new system?

My situation: I bought a 13", 13th gen intel and got it about 2 weeks ago. I didn’t have time to do anything with it, other than 1 full charge, until yesterday. When I started it for the first time, after I installed Ubuntu 24.04, I saw that the battery had only 97.5% capacity. (Btw, I set the max charging to 80% in the UEFI, after that first one-time full charge.)
How can there be already such a degradation? Is this a case for customer support?

There is fluctuation in all batteries, and the readings you get from a single full charge cycle are not going to be incredibly accurate. A few power cycles in should give you a more realistic situation. Understand too that not all batteries are going to be exactly the same. They are built to be within spec, and not exactly identical. (Nature of the chemistry and manufacturing process, etc.)

1 Like

Thanks, got it.
Would it be better then to do several full charge cycles before switching to 80% max?

1 Like

Yes, I think it would be, but that is just based on my experience.

It won’t make a lot of difference over the next couple of years but will appear to initially.

The Battery management system in the battery is rather rough.

It’s long topic but have a look, I will link a few specific posts later

For two years of detail you can look at my site. It’s just an IP on a Raspberry Pi in my woodland shed. :slight_smile: You will see mine started at around 3%

http://217.155.51.23/newdevices/framework/battery/graph.php

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying looking through your link! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks for this. I read around a bit and will do two cycles of full charge and full empty. Then switch to 80% charge and not lower than 20% – that’s what I’m doing with my mobile devices too. Same type of battery, so I suppose same “training.” :upside_down_face: