October/Batch 4 Thread

It’s a learning curve :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I installed Manjaro on another computer the other day (after learning on Vanilla arch) and was astonished by how simple it was to install!

I have a very similar Intel AX wifi6 chip in a different laptop and its Bluetooth works pretty much out of box (with the installation of bluez and starting/enabling the Bluetooth systems daemon). So I imagine it can work with this one on Arch, but not sure how much progress they’ve made on the reboot issues.

For what it’s worth, you would probably be better off playing with bluetoothctl in the command line for connecting some devices. I sometimes find the DE services in Gnome or KDE a bit hit or miss (that could be my user error though tbh…)

Either way enjoy! I’m very jealous and so excited to get my hands on this machine!!

2 Likes

Indeed, but bluetoothctl (and sudo bluetoothctl) really insists there are no controllers :joy:

I just tried a full cold boot (turned off for a few minutes, then booted into bios, turned off, and booted again) and voila, Bluetooth is on and working! I likely followed the same rabbit hole everyone else went down, it seems like we’re going to have to wait for some kind of fix from intel for this to go away completely. I’m happy to have it working in some capacity though

Helpful link, most of the OP’s issues matched mine exactly: Intel AX210 Bluetooth - nothing in hcitool / Kernel & Hardware / Arch Linux Forums

Rats! Maybe by the time the laptop gets to my neck of the woods they’ll have something worked out (a boy can dream!)

Funny, mine said the same thing and hasn’t moved since Thursday… We’ll see how gracious FedEx is feeling I guess :grimacing:

1 Like

Ok team, based on what everyone’s posted thus far (builds, order dates, shipping emails, etc) I have a general idea of where the queue might be.
Running assumption: CPUs are the limiting factor (not expansion cards or RAM/SSD)

i5-1135G7 (28x posts): July orders should be complete, moving on to August. @Josh-V can you confirm/deny?
i7-1165G7 (27x posts): Sep 12-20 orders should be starting to move (based on 31Aug-11Sep orders showing receipt); @suderman do you have an update?
i7-1185G7 (6x posts): Not much data to pull from. @P_bark Do you have an update?

I’ll delete this if this is a truly useless post that gets people’s hopes up only to be crushed with supply chain or other delays.

9 Likes

Got the i7-1165G7 DIY version

Preorder: 9/15
Batch 4 prep email: 10/4

Nothing else yet!

1 Like

hmm… I guess I’ll add my DIY config here too.

- i5 Bare with no wifi/ram/storage
- 4x USB-A
- 2x USB-C

Ordered on Sept 1st, and got the batch 4 email on the same day as everyone else (Oct 4). I should add that I did not receive any other emails as of yet.

1 Like

I checked and it looks like I’m in the Sept 12-20 group (Ordered on Sept 19). No second confirmation email yet.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t have an update. My status is still “Pre-Order Confirmed”. I received the second email on the 6th of October. I ordered Sept. 27.

Intel i7-1185G7
Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 vPro®
2 USB-A
1 HDMI
1 MicroSD
1 DP
3 USB-C
1 Storage – 1TB
power supply
32 gb ram (2x16)

1 Like

Package expected to be delivered today but no tracking update from fedex since it said “Label unreadable” on Friday so according to their tracking its still several states away. Fedex why must you always let me down :\

1 Like

@Monger3170 still no shipping update for my August 2nd DIY i5.

Given all the posts I’d say the i5’s must represent ~70% of the order volume. I guessed that the higher end CPUs would ship out faster but damn it’s slow going for us lowly plebs.

mr-bean-waiting

4 Likes

Sitting here waiting for my bank to call about the charge like

4 Likes

I’ve also ordered an i7-1185G7 DIY. I’ve received the first and second emails (saying they would charge my account soon), but still no charges. In exactly the same space as @P_bark right now.

I’m hoping I’m charged on Monday, but we’ll see.

1 Like

It here! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

10 Likes

Got mine 2 days ago and I am obsessed with this thing. I received it and had to show the whole family. Thank goodness this now a thing in 2021!

I am sure all the silly kinks will be worked out in time but it’s been great thus far after running Ubuntu 21.04 with it!

6 Likes

Alright, first impressions. I love it.

I bought the DIY version.

Configuration:

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7
  • Memory: 32GB (1 x 32GB) DDR4-3200
  • WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®

Expansion Cards:

• 2 USB-C
  • 2 USB-A
  • 1 HDMI (to swap in when I need it)

Putting it all together was a snap. If you’ve ever installed ram or an SSD in a laptop, it’s just that. The WiFi antenna leads were small, but I think the worry over them that I’ve see (somone saying plan of it taking 20 minutes?) is overblown. Reading the install guide is by far the longest part of the process. Actually installing took less than two minutes for me. The RAM was normal RAM and the SSM just a normal m.2 drive, easy peasy.

I installed Fedora 34. Then, after booting into it I attached it to my CalDigit TS3+ dock to get internet, installed updates, and rebooted.

Everything seems to be working perfecrtly with zero fiddling. wifi, bluetooth, camera, mic, media/function keys, fingerprint reader, touchpad gestures, sleep, everything I can think of.

(Though I’m having unrelated screen flicking problems with my dock and/or a cable and/or my displays and/or something. :/)

The battery estimator says I’m on track to get just under 8 hours, again with no fiddling done to maximize that.

The only minor gripe I’ve found so far is that the mic & camera kill switches seems to indicate backwards. Behind one half of each it’s colored red, but the red shows when they’re off rather than when they’re on. That just seems completely backwards to me. It’s also a bit weird that on isn’t the same direction on both of them. :man_shrugging:

Obviously that’s incredibly minor stuff, so I’m incredibly happy with this laptop. :smiley:

Dates:

Sept 2 - Ordered
Oct 4 - “We’re preparing to ship your batch!” email
Oct 6 - “We’re preparing to ship your order!” email
Oct 7 - “Your order is shipping soon” email
Oct 7 - “Your order has shipped” email
Oct 10 - Delivered! :tada:

Edit: Also, damn this thing has good sound. I wasn’t expecting that.

7 Likes

This is actually normal or i should say a common configuration :slight_smile: (weird right?) , ThinkPads have the same configuration for years now.

2 Likes

Super weird. Though, I guess using the UX people are used to is at least excusable. I’m just happy I have a laptop that has switches at all now and I don’t have to put a sticker over the camera (and just hope that the mic isn’t on). :joy:

2 Likes

F

2 Likes

@jimlarck I’m seeing the exact same thing on my end… Oh well, maybe tomorrow. :man_shrugging:

(I’ve been saying that the last two days… )

2 Likes