October/Batch 4 Thread

thank you! I was trying to press in the corners since I’m so used to other trackpads. Since the pressure point is centered, is there a way to reliably right-click with the trackpad?

I think there was an issue where the trackpad wasn’t seated properly and pushing firmly in the center would correct the issue and allow it to click properly after that.

1 Like

Also, just a note about my DIY model I just received: It had BIOS version 3.06 out of the box. When I went into the bios at first power on to look things over, I was pleasantly surprised to see the power button LED light brightness setting.

Mine didn’t click either, but now it does. Not sure what I did to fix it. Possibly messing around with Gnome Tweak’s touchpad settings is what did the trick.

When I got mine, I had to press-to-click (pretty hard) in the middle a LOT of times in a row before it started to register. Now it works like a charm.

I can right-click by either tapping or pressing down with two fingers anywhere on the trackpad (on Windows, at least).

so far mine only registers click in the center still, but I can right-click using two fingers on fedora too.
with any luck, in the course of routine use the trackpad will begin registering clicks further out

1 Like

I am typing this reply from my brand new Framework laptop dual booting Xubuntu 21.10 and Windows 11! This is my first time running this kind of configuration with both OSes living on the same drive in different partitions, and it has been a learning curve, but so far usable.

I will have to do a complete write up of my impressions after I have been able to fully migrate to this computer and have lived with it for a while, but I do have one initial gripe. The palm rejection when typing seems to be nonexistent. This is an issue with my big hands and such a big touchpad. The touchpad is great otherwise! I am hoping this is some kind of driver issue I can sort out easily, though most of my typing will be done using a separate ergonomic keyboard instead of the built in one. Has anyone else in this thread had palm rejection issues?

3 Likes

I finally got mine in the mail today! :smile:

I installed windows 11 just for fun but honestly I really like how similar it feels to windows 10. I was afraid that it would be much more changed but I was wrong. Half the functions didn’t work however after installing a driver package from frameworks website everything ran smoothly. All in all very pleased with everything! I really hope framework stays around essentially the rest of my life, because I absolutely love them!

8 Likes

The wify and I finally got our Frameworks (late batch 4).

9 Likes

@henrytr awww!!! You got 2?!?! No fair! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mine came in yesterday and I’ve been setting up my OS. Had planned to go with Zorin OS16 but saw some vids about some issues with hardware drivers not being up to snuff. So I ended up putting on Fedora 35 and I’m pretty blown away by how everything just snapped into place and worked right out of the box.

Framework + Fedora 35 == :+1: :+1: :+1:

5 Likes

+1 for Fedora 35 working well with minimal configuration. I’m enjoying my Framework laptop so far!

3 Likes

DSC01100

I figured I’d share a couple pics. Seems like the majority of batch 4 have received their laptops.

8 Likes

Just wondering, does anybody know to set a limit on the percentage my charger will go to until it cuts power off to the battery? I wish to only charge my battery at 80% and to keep it plugged in.

Not 100% sure on Windows, but I have seen solutions presented here. Unfortunately, at this time they are all software based, so if you were to shut the computer down while plugged in it would fully charge.

A charge limit is a feature request for future BIOS/Firmware updates. It’s one I’d personally like to see!

1 Like

Same here! Also, I hear all sorts of answers on the internet that say “no” you shouldn’t keep your laptop plugged in all the time and others saying “yes” it’s totally fine. My dad keeps his laptop plugged in for weeks on end and his battery still seems to be fine. (He has a Dell Latitude e6320). Any thoughts on this?

1 Like

Technically, a lithium battery degrades faster when sitting at 100% charge. 50-80% state of charge is better for the battery. That doesn’t mean that every battery kept at full charge will quickly fail, or that every battery kept at 70% will last forever, but it does make a difference.

2 Likes

My mini-review of my unit, in case anyone is interested.

@Comfy did you experience any of the power/suspend/wake issues that describe in my review? Nothing super major … just things that I would have liked to see working more smoothly.

1 Like

I think if you do want to keep it plugged in all the time, it’s probably ideal to have the battery rest at a lower charge level as it won’t degrade as quickly. That said, there shouldn’t be any issues anymore as there were with some (very old now) laptops where trickle charging was a concern - if the laptop is able to pull all of its power needs from the external power source, it shouldn’t put any load on the battery at all.

1 Like

Suspend/resume works well for me with the lid switch. I prefer that my laptop doesn’t automatically sleep unless I close it so I have the idle sleep timeout disabled.

I have had some dock issues with a Dell WD19S (non-Thunderbolt), mostly related to DP MST functionality when two monitors are plugged into it. The i915 driver doesn’t seem to behave reliably with it yet. I haven’t dug into it too deeply though. Works fine when both monitors are connected via DP, but doesn’t play nice when one is HDMI and one is DP.

@Comfy I agree. I prefer to put the device to sleep, which I map to a shortcut. But I was having problems waking it up. I have found that adding “deep sleep” to my GRUB config seems to have helped.