Oled screen

I have not handled any oled screens before but I doubt the actual panels are any thicker than lcd panels. There is also some room to play in the actual FW13 case in terms of screen thickness, and the thickest part will likely be the pcb and connector, which can theoretically be placed below the panel if thickness needs to be reduced.

Also, you will be very hard-pressed to find actual thickness measurements on panelook and the main physical limitation on the case is the width and height. Exceeding this will mean you will have to machine your own aluminium back cover. Exceeding thickness just means you have to 3D print your own plastic cover.

They /are/must be/ as there is an extra layer for the touch sensitive part.

Comment was off topic, as my brain clearly was. There may be hope for an upadated screen but sadly not for my brain.

Honestly I have very little idea on how the touch element / digitizer works. I get the impression that the digitizer doesn’t sit on the lcd / oled panel and is on the glass top/bezel of the device. That seems to me why touchscreen replacements always seem to come with with the whole top assembly.

I am happy to be corrected on any of this though.I’ve spent a lot of time just trying to figure out lcd panels, connectors and such and haven’t really been able to dig into oleds/touch as the free/public information on these are severely lacking.

In case anyone needs this:

The dimensions that your panel can have is approximately 290(w) x 202(h). I would ± 1mm to these measurements as though i have accurate calipers, I’m not the most proficient at using these tools. The depth also varies along the back, and there are padding, etc on the back but in general you would have about 3mm or so to play with.

The actual visible window on the top bezel is 286(w) x 191(h), again with ±1mm in accuracy.

Lastly, the thickness of the bezel itself, and not including the raised sides, is about 1mm.

1 Like

Are you sure this actually fits?

Very careful with samsung oleds, they sometimes use very weird pinouts and non standard voltages for some of the io pins as well as the power supply.

Something is going very wrong when an oled panel is thicker than an lcd.

1 Like

Yes sorry,my brain is a bit clogegd and fogged, I was thinking of a touch screen :zipper_mouth_face:

The linux hardware device stats that i linked indicate that it does:
LCD Monitor SDC4160 3000x2000 285x190mm 13.5-inch

Interestingly, there is also a model number SDC4148 with similar specs. Neither this nor the above model are listed on Panelook. The active area measurements correspond almost exactly to the visible window of the top bezel.

Samsung Electronics LCD Monitor SDC4148 3000x2000 285x190mm 13.5-inch

An the linux hardware stats do have accurate physical sizes and not just what they put into the edid for the active area?

When looking at the laptop it comes in it has similar slim bezels but is almost a cm taller so that sounds like it could be a bit of an issue.

And it also looks like it’s just 60hz and has a digitizer which dampens my interest in it quite a bit.

Was more going for 90 XD