Open Sourcing our Firmware

Let’s keep this on topic please.

7 Likes

Yea getting back to topic.

It is very good news that FW now runs on open source firmware. But IMO, as it is still on the proprietary BIOS, the benefit of an open ec has kinda been pulled back.

I read previously that FW has been working with coreboot for furture development, but no news since then and I am still eagerly expecting responses from the team.

It would only be a pure game-changer if FW finally implemented the coreboot together with openec as well as an option to neutralize/disable the intel me. With all these one can build a specifically strong and private hardware system, which has been one of the top concerns from many Linux users.

I cannot speak for others, but that combination has been the killing feature which I am waiting for before I can finally introduce and recommend FW to the other enthusiasts.

4 Likes

Would that require hardware changes? Or can this be simply done by flashing the BIOS with a new firmware?

You can check [RESPONDED] Coreboot on the Framework Laptop - #85 by junaruga to know the current situation about coreboot.

i thought a fuse gets blown means its no longer connected so wouldn’t it be refused?

1 Like

Think that depends on the implementation of the fuse. Some are resettable.