[IN TICKET] Piece of mainboard partially melted

Just found this thread and my laptop has the same issue as well, batch 5 11th gen intel model. Already sent a request to support about it, I was receiving blink codes 4, 9, and 10 and the laptop would not turn on.

1 Like

Batch 5…so you’re still under warranty, right?

I wonder if it’s some other protection circuitry prior to the MOSFET that’s failing…and causing the burn out.

My unit has the same issue with the burnt mosfet. It suddenly died while the laptop was in use. Code 4, 9 and 10. Framework issued a replacement. Rev 1A 08-05-2021.

NOOOOO… not another… at least there hasn’t been that many eh… and they are replacing the boards!

Another one! Same spot, same code. Contacted support, but they didn’t offer a replacement. Only told me to order a new mainboard.

Try again and reference this thread. Escalate to higher tier support if you must. The board is obviously defective.

5 Likes

Definitely try again. This is very clearly a manufacturer defect.

1 Like

Hi @ducttapegamer, I found your ticket and have responded. Our sincere apologies as our agent provided the incorrect response and we will of course be replacing the mainboard. As stated in my ticket response, as to why this may have happened, we still are uncertain. We’ve had a very small number of reports of this happening in the field, and after evaluation of the returned laptops by our manufacturing partner, the results were inconclusive and we are still unable to determine the root cause. We’ll have your mainboard analyzed as well to see if a cause can be determined.

12 Likes

Sorry for the late-ish reply. Been at school all day. Just saw the email and I want to say I appreciate the help!

10 Likes

Resolving this with support, marking solved.

@Matt_Hartley Do we have a cause found? If so, which boards are likely to be affected? If FW has not yet found the root issue, then I don’t think this issue is resolved, even if support is doing the right thing by customers.

Edited with new info:

Hello everyone. Our supplier for the mainboard has done their analysis and sent the MOSFET component that failed to the supplier for that part for further analysis, but as per my last message, we still do not have root cause.

He has been working with the hardware team, so good to have this clarification.

The thread has been marked resolved in that the specific board has been addressed, but per the quote, it looks like cause has yet to be determined.

It’s an issue I caught in passing, so thanks for the addition details.

Thread has been marked as in ticket in that we addressed a board replacement. The cause has yet to be determined. Thanks @GhostLegion for the addition deets.

Multiple boards have been affected. This thread is evidence of that fact. Last we heard, the boards were sent off to a third party for examination. Is the investigation complete?

@GhostLegion Ah, thanks for the additional deets (hardware team update). Updated the initial reply to reflect this. Appreciate the additional details so I could correct my statement.

I need anyone happening upon this thread title to know that we have eyes on this and the support case is being worked.

Status updated to In-Ticket.

1 Like

This is what I get for venturing outside of Linux posts lol :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@Matt_Hartley Naw, it’s all good. I just was hoping the investigation was actually complete.

1 Like

I completely glossed those deets, so thank you for catching that. :slight_smile:

After a review of additional boards by our manufacturing partner, the results were still inconclusive and no root cause was identified. The only finding was that the failure was due to component stress, but again, no root cause. The failure rate is extremely low based on shipped units vs failures in the field but we continue to evaluate any returned units to see if a definitive cause can be found. X-ray evaluation of the MOSFET unfortunately does not point to a cause of failure.

4 Likes

@TheTwistgibber That is very unfortunate. Given that no root cause has been found after such investigation and the number of boards is (still?) only 6, you guys are right to mark the thread solved then since its likely the root cause will never be found. Thank you for the update @Matt_Hartley and @TheTwistgibber.

We continue to investigate the returns and have been shipping them to our HQ for review. If we do identify a root cause, rest assured we will let the Community know.

9 Likes