Please make the touchpad good

Update the touchpad no longer lets me click. It’s only touch to click now. I did a software update and updated the kernel, tried turning it on and off again… it just randomly stopped working.

contact support, they should be able to help you with next steps.

1 Like

Wait people actually use the track pads on laptops? i thought they were just for last resort. I always have a real mouse with me so the track pad is a non issue to me but hopefully for you guys you will find what you want.

2 Likes

I agree with you. The touchpad on my device is absolute trash. I’m a Batch 3 Original Framework 13 owner (so maybe the trackpad has been revised) but it’s horrendous. It’s so inconsistent and obtuse that 90% of the time if I have to choose between using the FW 13 or getting up and walking to the desktop I choose the desktop.

As I’m typing this I see Gerald’s post, i’m going to try that, but this is still not a good trackpad.

Context: I was intending to quote the OP.

1 Like

I don’t care much for trackpads (an actual mouse is better to me in nearly every situation), but I wonder what the possibility would be of making a trackpad module for the 16 using Sensel’s tech? Seems that, so far, only Lenovo has used them?

probably could take apart one of their stand alone track pads and fit it into the laptop with some electrical wiring know-how.

Trouble is, I don’t think they sell standalone ones.
They used to have a giant trackpad named Morph, too big to fit, and it’s been discontinued.

Buy an OEM Lenovo replacement touchpad then off Alibaba?

1 Like

I haven’t been able to find them, have you?

These are only on a couple recent models. The oldest is one 2021 model. They would still be under warranty, so little to none would be broken and just a loss, only worth being sold off for parts. And I don’t think Sensel is allowing ghost shift “OEM” products to sneak out the back door and onto ali.

Then I guess the hunt is on.

Every time mine does that, I go into the (Linux) touchpad settings tester and click hard and rapidly all over the pad until it starts working correctly again.

i would say pls add short cut key to disable to touch pad , as on msi and other laptops have , i not use touch pads , only MOUSE , but its very very annoying when u typing on laptop keyboard and ur hand touch the touchpad then ur cursor will be gone , that’s why i keep the touch pad disabled always.

It’ll likely be fairly easy to set that up in your OS of choice, even bind it to some keys.
No need for a dedicated button imo

Slightly more seriously, for me, I disagree. I’d love to have dedicated left-middle-right buttons. But as the meme goes…that’s just my opinion of what I want.

The nice part about Framework is myself or someone else, or maybe even eventually Framework themselves, might eventually give us a new version of the trackpad with hardware buttons.

He wasn’t talking about left/middle/right click buttons, instead just about a button that locks the touchpad entirely. That’s a somewhat rare thing that imo should just be set up by the user themselves if they really need it, as most of the time it’d just be a waste of space

1 Like

I have some HP laptops from 2012 that have this feature, some quick taps on a spot on the pad will toggle it from active to inactive.
The first time that happened, whiskey tango foxtrot?

Oh that. Gotcha.

I have a hotkey on my current laptop to do that, via Fn + F. Are we sure Framework doesn’t have that? Potentially could always macro disabling/ignoring the touchpad input via a system hotkey in the same way, rather than it being a firmware thing.

Exactly. In Hyprland it’s just one line in the config to add this toggle keybind, I guess it won’t be hard in other setups either.

I do see why you would like dedicated click buttons, but I’m personally happy they didn’t go that route. The gestures work great for me.

However, I do hope that in the future they will release more versions of the trackpad, like a thinkpad style one or one in collaboration with Sensel. The second one I’d likely pre order instantly ^^

3 Likes

It’d be really awesome if Framework brought out a new touchpad module that spans the entire width and utilizes Sensel tech.

I think a lot of people would immediately jump on that ^^

4 Likes

After thinking about it. This is not the idea of making a product with repairability and sustainability in mind.
In my ideal world they find a fix for the gaps and shiftiness of the spacers.