Please make the touchpad good

Having used Thinkpads exclusively for the last 12 years (except the MBP work forced on me), I spent the first day of using the FW16 trying to figure out why the touchpad felt so unnatural. Watched myself switch between that and the T480s and realized that I used my thumb for movement and index finger for clicking on the Thinkpad. Hahah. Would killll for some buttons though. Feels a bit better switching to taps instead of clicks and doing the same thumb + finger thing, but still not in the same realm.

1 Like

LOL, yeah, I do much prefer actual buttons for the clicking. Would kill for a replacement that had some buttons and I could disable touchpad taps. I’d sacrifice a body part for a trackpoint & buttons.

1 Like

Coming from a MacBookPro 2019, they have really mastered the touchpad there, don’t see why that isn’t the defacto hardware in the FW16 or any laptop TBH.
Plus it ought to be one single piece of metal, I can live without the adjust-ability there and will buy one if they make it.

I was thinking of D-Brand covering the laptop but it wouldn’t mask the joins as they are all seperate stickers

1 Like

With the 16 it seemed like a bit of a waste that they didn’t refactor the touchpad and instead just packaged their existing one but perhaps there will be incremental improvements. I used to HATE touch pads but I have gotten used to it (I still prefer a trackpoint).

Update y’all: the touchpad on the Framework 16 is indeed so much better than the early unit on the Framework 13.

Update: I was wrong as fuck. This one middle clicks if you have the audacity to click it while resting your wrist nearby. Sorry to those that probably saw this and thought it was okay to get one of the new touchpads.

5 Likes

If you are on linux make sure that you have added the following file as described here:

and here:

2 Likes

The issue isn’t inadvertent clicks while typing, the issue is intended clicks being middle clicks instead of left clicks.

Ah, my mistake. Is this in windows or linux? I haven’t run across it in linux, but I don’t believe that I have my setup configured for a middle click, so I guess that’s why I’ve dodged that issue.

1 Like

“resting left hand accidentally touches trackpad while right hand is using it” is one of the reasons i hoped to move the trackpad to the right while the keyboard was on the left. i have trouble with this on the fw13 as it is (although less severely than it sounds like you do).

i do hope a solution can be found for getting the trackpad relocated further away from the place the extra hand goes.

I haven’t tried on the framework 16 yet because I’m abroad right now, but on my current laptop it’s double tap and drag.

My wrist isn’t touching the touchpad – it’s only next to it. I suspect putting weight near the touchpad causes some internal stress that is transmitted to the touchpad and interpreted as a third touch

well that isn’t ideal at all.