[Poll] CPU and GPU combinations

ah yes, I forgot about disabling intel me. Is that still possible on the latest generation of intel chips?

I know some progress to bring coreboot to AMD has been made, but not sure how much.

No, it isn’t, and hasn’t been for a couple of generations.

AMD PSP (pre pluton) did not have network access, ME always has had, and Intel is going to end up with pluton as well so its all much of a muchness now.

1 Like

It can be disabled, it just can’t be neutered. There is a difference. Tuxedo Computers for instance sells laptops with 12th gen chips with the option to deactivate the Intel ME.

Yes, there is. One is asking it nicely if it would mind going away, and hoping it does so. The other is rendering it incapable of doing anything at all. Only the latter of those qualifies as ‘disabled’ in my book

1 Like

You were never able to really do that, you only took away the code for anything non essential and hope you didn’t miss anything. The me (and the psp in the amds for that matter) do some necessary stuff too beside all the potentially malicious fluff.

2 Likes

In regards to that discussion:

Would it, though? Are the pinouts of the chips the same or different? If they can go on the same motherboard it would be easier to offer both, though something like a 7945HX would need a more robust cooler. And since some of the cooling duties are handled by the Expansion Bay, putting in the higher power CPU might constrain what you could put in there.

The pinouts should be same-ish but there is stuff like the 7045 series not having onboard usb4 (and a sad excuse for an igpu) and stuff like that that would make it quite a but more than just a cooler swap.

Would be neat though if they could make it work. But having a 7040hs option for efficient upper mid range cpu performance and good battery life or some intel abomination with shit tier battery life but a ton of cores for those that actually need them is an ok compromise imo.

I chose AMD CPU + Nvidia GPU, because AMD is much better than Intel in efficiency, that gives better battery life, and the cores…, AMD has no ‘P+E hybrid’ nonsense.
But I chose Nvidia GPU because Nvidia has software to make use of the GPU for different tasks like webcam image processing (NV-broadcast), web video upscaling etc., and it also has some creative-oriented features that are not available on AMD GPUs, and Intel too.
If AMD adds those features, then I will choose AMD+AMD.

1 Like

My vote for Intel / Nvidia is because I’d love to see the framework setup in corporate environments. Decision makers for corporate IT are cowards, and if it’s not Intel vpro, they ain’t touching it, regardless of value / performance / efficiency / etc.

Nvidia because cuda. Would love to see an entry level Quadro as an option.

3 Likes

I would like to see a ryzen 9 7940HS, which is the top of the line model with the radeon 780m. I would like to see at least a choice of the rtx 4070 M or an Intel ARC a770m. The RTX 4080 and 4090 consume too much power. It should also have an option of the same intel cpus in the framework 13, since only the processors with the p suffix have decent integrated graphics. This is important because I will not be running the dedicated GPU unless I am rendering or gaming.

Can we also get Occulink based cable for eGPU enclosures? The Occulink cable would connect to PCIe exposed from the FW16.

1 Like

Voted AMD+NVidia.
This is because I have a 3D scanner that requires CUDA, and the vendor has no published plans to support OpenCL etc.
I don’t care much about Linux compatibility, going to run Win11.

1 Like

Linux aside, I’ve always found NVIDIA to just work better for anything other than gaming.

1 Like

All of my non-Framework machines are Linux + AMD CPU + nVidia GPU w/ my external monitor using GSync.

Wow I wanna say: 79% for AMD + AMD and AMD + Nvidia.

So with one CPU vendor and two GPU vendors is it possible to deliver to nearly 4/5 of the crowd. That seems quite streamlined.

Amazing :blush:

2 Likes

yeah, no kidding. But that’s 79% of people who voted on that topic in this forum, not 79% of the market.

I mean, some kind of sample group is better than none, but still. When people put their money down it’s usually team green, and often with an Intel CPU.

For example. Linux users may be very active on this forum - not to mention electronics enthusiasts - but do they represent most of the customer base? Granted, this is a semi-niche product. But in Framework’s position I’d take the forum poll with a grain of salt and seek other information sources.

Anyway, just hoping for AMD+AMD to be an option, in my case.

2 Likes

Whatever as long as Framework begins shipping to Malaysia please. Voted for AMD + Nvidia though.

Will there be a multiplexer to switch the display output between the iGPU and the dGPU when attached? Or will the dGPU be routed through the iGPU as the only display output?

Here is the discussion for those who want:

1 Like

I closed the poll since we’ve now announced AMD+AMD! It looks like we chose right:

13 Likes