Possible to buy laptop charger?

It seems like it should work from reading the specs, you might want to check your cable, not all USB-C cables are built the same. I have some USB-C cables that refuse to charge anything larger then small tablet. Once I figured that out I only bought 100w rated USB-C cables.

2 Likes

@ImaxinarDM :person_facepalming:cant believe I missed it, thank you!

@digitalknk good to know, I’ll look for that from here on out. Thank you. The cord I’m using is supposedly rated for 100W but I’m just going to get the framework charger

E2A: I ended up having an entirely different issue. charger works fine

1 Like

The Framework laptop’s charger is something I would absolutely love to be able to purchase, as while the Europlug is officially supported in my country, it has absolutely no weight support in the socket, which is slightly recessed, so on one hand, you cannot have anything flush with it unless it is meant for that socket, while on the other hand, it is not as deep as Shuko or Swiss sockets, without anything to hold Europlugs in place, even at the sides, so bulky Europlug-wielding chargers like Anker’s Nano 2 65W or some of Lenovo’s and Asus’s barrel chargers end up with broken plugs (and in uncommon cases, broken sockets) are an absolute horrible idea here (and despite that, are used here, and officially sold even by companies like Lenovo and Asus).

At least we have slightly safer sockets than the NEMA standard, due to any socket recession at all, although this way it would have been better to just adopt the Swiss standard (it is electrically equivalent).

I was using Framework Laptop’s adapter for US with a converter from US to Europe. Today I wrongly did put the USB-C cable port of the adapter into the water glass, then after a while, I tried to use it. But it didn’t charge any more. Fortunately, my Lenovo X1 Carbon’s adapter works to charge it for the Framework Laptop. But tomorrow I have to buy a new one for my Framework Laptop at my local Electronics store. My question is which watt is the best? The 60W is the best? Any other considerations to buy it? Thanks.

60W for fast charging, 100W if you can afford it.

1 Like

Thanks for your help. Did you mean the 100W or bigger W power adapter is the best if I can afford it? Why is 100W better than 60W? Because of faster charging?

I want to see more explanations (a bigger W power adapter is better) to be added to the knowledge base: What kind of power adapter can I use with my Framework Laptop? .

1 Like

I was going to edit my response because it’s not quite right now that I think of it, but there may be a good reason to keep it.

The mainboard can draw up to 100W under high load. It will draw 60W (20V @ 3A) from the charger and additional power from the battery. This is why I first wrote 100W.

But it can only draw 60W (20V @ 3A) from the charger, maximum.

However, if you can, do allow a safety margin. Having a power adapter operating at 100% power is not a great idea if you can avoid it. The Framework power adapter gets away with it due to its efficient GaN design which has high efficiency and keeps heat down. There are also good protection mechanisms (thermal, overcurrent, short circuit). Cheaper chargers or ones of lower quality or worse design will run hotter and be under greater strain. 100W chargers would be at 60% power though and will be under less strain, operating at better efficiency and lower heat even if they’re not of the best design.

Simply put, if you see a 60W charger and a 100W charger at the same price, the 100W charger would be preferable even if it’s not the very best design.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation!
Today I bought ASUS’s 65W USB-C adapter (this one). This is the biggest watt adapter I could find today in the local stores. I also like this adapter’s design like Apple’s adapter. It’s like ---[]=, not like ---[]---=. Though the ASUS one is not repairable, because the cable is connected with the adapter.

1 Like

Looks good, a lot better than a no-name OEM who-knows-what.