Power optimizations under Windows: lower temps, longer battery life

IDo these power settings affect performance? My cinebench came in at 3703. I’m very pleased with the fan noise reduction, but a ~25% drop in speed does not seem balanced.

My system is an i5-1135g7 with 32gb of ram running windows 11.

According to framework’s internal testing the score should be over 5000.

Did you cap the TDP, or was there some windows updates running in the background?

In general though, you can’t have both great battery life, AND, high performance. … Unless you have a larger battery.

I realise I can’t have my bits and eat them too. My goal was to keep my framework from sounding like a tiny vacuum during simple tasks.

After removing all the settings in this thread, disabling windows update in services.msc, and setting the power option to performance, my score went up to 4800. After installing bios 3.10, my score went up to 5003. That was especially surprising because I couldn’t find anything in the bios release notes that mentioned a performance improvement.

Something is still amiss as the lab benchmark is 5100.

I would consider this close enough.
The results will vary from machine to machine and from run to run.

3 Likes

If you are just using your Framework for general stuff, then just switch off the CPU turbo boost in the BIOS.

I switched mine off a month ago. Have noticed no difference in day to day usage and it’s quieter.

Only takes a minute to switch it back on if you need the boost.

2 Likes

I thought switching it off in BIOS only applies to the governor in the BIOS? Windows override the control when it boots.

Nope just switch off the boost in BIOS and my Framework locks to max 2.8Ghz under load in Windows 99.9% of the time.

2 Likes

I switched off boost in my BIOS and it appears to be working. I don’t use monitoring software but the clock speeds look correct when I open task manager and the laptop is dead silent for the most part.

1 Like

Yeah I think due to tech reviews and benchmarks we get fixated that we need faster and faster peak performance but day to day? For 90% of what we do? Nope, it just has to keep up with what we are doing. Modern chips have plenty of head room nowadays. I bet I could downclock (if I could) this Framework to a max of 2GHz and I still wouldnt notice in most of the stuff I do. I got fast dual channel CL20 ram and a SSD that can do 6900+MBps which all helps keep stuff smooth.

1 Like

@Jason_Dagless are you noticing any battery life improvements after turning off turbo? I might do the same when my framework arrives. Great idea and thank you for sharing

@seadub I dont own a Framework, but I do own a Latitude 9520 with an i7-1185G7.

Disabling turbo keeps temps really low (idling at 40C and at most, it goes up to 47C-50C, on a room that’s at 27C-30C) and battery life is better because there’s not a spike in power usage.
I dont know what’s the Package Power on the Framework Laptop but on here, it’s set at 31W according to the Intel Power Gadget (HWInfo64 says its 28W), so with Turbo ON, Windows will jump up to 4GHz and spike up to 20W whenever it feels it needs that extra power.

Without Turbo, at most, you will a power usage of 7W-8W. These are the figures reported by the Power Gadget.

Yeah I’ve watched HWmonitor when testing and with boost as mentioned above, the temps are way lower, fan usage is almost nil for web and general use. Wattage was 30W peak with boost and well under 10 with it off (around 4W at idle). Just makes the laptop feel more “grown up” when its not huffing and puffing all the time. I really don’t know what Intel are thinking these days if they feel thats acceptable behaviour for a product. Imagine 8 or 9 such laptops in a meeting room…

One tip I would say is to make the rear foot strip at the back maybe 1mm deeper to give more clearance for air flow. Shame Framework used a strip rather than feet, as its easier to stick something to an existing round or square foot.

On battery running WPrime with no boost for my 1165G7 Max wattage is 18.3W, Max temp 69C and Max CPU was 2811MHz. The fan does come on but it sounds like its running at maybe 33%. You can just hear it.

1 Like

There’s plenty of room to add taller feet.

1 Like

Yeah but its nicer to add to a larger existing foot surface area than add something new elsewhere. You keep the existing support area too rather than expanding or reducing. When I de-commision old laptops I keep all the rubberwear from them cos if I get a nice laptop in I can hand on, often the rubberwear is missing. My rubber laptop feet collection is extensive! lol

1 Like

The ‘strip’ acts as a barrier to isolate the hot air from being pull back in underneath due to air flow / drag.

i.e. By having a strip, you’re decreasing the likelihood of using hot / warm exhaust air from that area. That is, it’s a passive airflow pathway control mechanism.

5 Likes

Wow thank you for this guide @Jan-Eric_Schafrich! I’ve noticed ~1 hour of improvement in my battery life so far (I didn’t do everything, like I didn’t use ThrottleStop). Will continue to keep testing and monitor.

I really should write down these steps when I do them, but essentially Windows Telemetry runs in a very tight loop when it runs. I forget the name of the exe file that I actually deleted off my Windows\System32 folder for my laptop to have sensible.

I have Windows Pro license so I had hoped changes to Telemetry settings via Group Policy Editor would fix it. But either by choice or by malice, Windows ignores GPE settings in Pro version. So next step was RegEdit. Still didn’t work. Finally someone more frustrated than me posted on a Windows forum, that they deleted the dang executable.

So I did the same. Since then the laptop has been very predictable as to when it spins up the fans (Electron Apps and Apple iDrive/iPhotos sync :joy: :see_no_evil: ). I will try to look up my browser history to see if I can find the relevant link.

Edit: Found it (Compatibility Telemetry Runner Can I disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry (CompatTelRunner.exe) in my laptop with windows 8.1? - Microsoft Q&A)

2 Likes

Is there some threads with tests how much more or less work i5 vs i7 framework laptops?

Finally settled on my day to day performance setup for smooth power usage.

Boost off and CPU downclocked to 2.5GHz. I have gone down to 2GHz with no noticable loss of day to day performance, so feel free to tone it down if you are just doing admin work in the server room all day.

Hits 16W max and max average CPU temp of 66C You can just hear the fan.

2 Likes

I have the 12th Gen Batch 4 machine (i5-1240P) and have Turbo Boost 3.0 in the BIOS set to disable.

The machine still turbo boosts to 4.4ghz on the P-Cores. Is this a bug in the 12th Gen BIOS? Or is there another setting that I need to change?