Power-Profiles-Daemon and AMD-PState

Hi everyone,

I come to you with a load of questions ! I’ve received my Framework Laptop 13 AMD from batch 10, absolutely loving it so far !

I’ve played a bit with stress-ng (stress-ng -c 16 ) to stress my CPU and I observed the following:

1. the CPU quickly rise to 100°C, @~4Ghz
  2. the FAN slowly catches up, taking off like a F16
  3. the CPU cool down to ~86°C, @~3,6Ghz

I’ve played a bit while with power-profiles-daemon and I discovered that it does not seem to use the amd_pstate driver.

When I run the command sudo powerprofilesctl it gives me the following:

balanced:
    Driver:     placeholder

* power-saver:
    Driver:     placeholder

From what I’ve been able to read online, it means that PPD is using a default, low-feature driver named placeholder, since it was not able to use a platform specific driver.
On Debian, PPD’s version is 0.12-1+b1
But the pstate is installed and loaded, asserted by this two commands:

> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/energy_performance_available_preferences
default performance balance_performance balance_power power
> sudo cpupower frequency-info
analyse du CPU 0 :
  driver: amd-pstate-epp
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
  maximum transition latency:  Cannot determine or is not supported.
  material limitation : 400 MHz - 5.13 GHz
  available governors : performance powersave
  tactique actuelle : frequency must be between 400 MHz and 5.13 GHz.
                  The powersave governor is free to choose any frequency in this interval.
  current CPU frequency: Unable to call hardware
  current CPU frequency: 1.53 GHz (asserted by call to kernel)
  boost state support:
    Supported: yes
    Active: yes
    Boost States: 0
    Total States: 3
    Pstate-P0:  3300MHz
    Pstate-P1:  2200MHz
    Pstate-P2:  1600MHz

To the other FW13 AMD owners, do you have the same output ?
Is this an expected behavior as PPD do not support AMD-PSTATE yet ?

My current setup : Debian 12 with Linux framework 6.5.0-0.deb12.4-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.5.10-1~bpo12+1 (2023-11-23) x86_64 GNU/Linux.

Support for this AMD platform has been merged upstream to PPD just a few weeks ago and there is no new tagged version yet.

Have a look at this thread:

Specifically support for AMD pstate also with a platform profile has been merged upstream.

It appears you’re missing platform profile support too! This could be a bug in Debian kernel configuration or it could be too old of a version.

I suggest you clone the tree from upstream and test it. If offers both a CPU and a platform profile then there is no kernel problem. I suggest you file a bug requesting them to update to the 0.20 release after it is tagged (which should be soon).

If it’s missing a platform profile after you’ve updated there is bug that Debian kernel is missing CONFIG_AMD_PMF and I suggest you file that with them.

Thank you for your reply !

Your diagnosis was right !

I submitted the following bugreport : https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1063161

I’ve installed PPD from the Ubuntu PPA and I have at least support for the amd-pstate driver (should have read Framework’s doc for Linux :sweat_smile:).
That is a start !

Thanks again !