[TRACKING] PPD v TLP for AMD Ryzen 7040

Don’t know exactly what happened but going from kernel 6.5.11 to kernel 6.6.11 made my power usage go from 4W to 7.5W idle as if I didn’t install Mario’s COPR. I did try a reinstall of Mario’s COPR but it didn’t do anything. Anyone got a clue what I could check to see what might be goofy? New to fedora.

Leaving this up for others who jump the gun. Make sure you check that you didn’t inadvertently turn off power saver in the settings when testing and forgot to turn it back on lol. Sorry squad

What’s the current recommendation then? There was a lot done, some patches made it to the kernel, is TLP still not recommended with kernel 6.7+ ?

Are there still “major issues” such as the suspend keyboard wake? I’m using TLP currently on Arch with kernel 6.7.3. My usage on fairly high brightness with firefox (as I type this) and a few chat apps (element, 64base-telegram) + oss-code (vscode/electron) is around 5-6W.

Video playback on firefox even with forcing hw accelleration still seems to kill it quickly tho it goes up to 25W+

1 Like

It also gets complicated with F40 dropping PPD as the default.

1 Like

…or rather F41:

I’ll revise the change proposal and target F41.

1 Like

What are they planning to replace PPD with? I’ve stopped using TLP on my current notebook as PPD gives me a more polished system for less effort.

https://tuned-project.org/

2 Likes

Shout-out to @Mario_Limonciello ! With the PPD from his COPR (mariolimonciello/power-profiles-daemon Copr) I get < 3W idle with the following setup:

• Lowest display brightness
  • Keyboard backlight off
  • Power saver
  • Bluetooth off
  • Wifi on
  • 125% display scaling
  • 2x USB-A, 1x USB-C, 1x HDMI expansion card
  • WD Black SN770 1TB
  • 2x Kingston ValueRAM KVR56S46BS6-8

This is on a pretty much stock Fedora 39 with the following changes:

13 Likes

EDITED AFTER RE-TESTING
I seem to get similar results with TLP and PPD (the patched one) on Arch 6.7

Idle with PPD and power-saver gives me around ~3.7W on lowest brigthness simillar to TLP with a bunch of apps + firefox up (but idle).

My setup is set to use suspend for 5 minutes followed by hibernation which both makes it safer (full disk encryption) and saves me the suspend-drains-battery problem. I’m pretty sure there are still issues tho. Also my measurements were mostly short term.

Could you point me to the right direction to do this on my 13" (amd) please ?

I just followed this guide for hibernation in general and then from this guide you’ll want to change HandleLidSwitch (and others) in the /etc/systemd/logind.conf to suspend-then-hibernate. Make sure to also change your HibernateDelaySec value to something too unless you want to hibernate only on <5% battery.

This all also requires the fixes to “autowakup” with the AMD framework, namely rtc_cmos.use_acpi_alarm=1 on the cmdline, otherwise your laptop might just wake up in the middle and eat the battery. (this should get fixed by kernel 6.9 I believe)

3 Likes

Thanks @Almindor :pray:
I really appreciate !

Good news folks; PPD 0.20 is released today.

I’ve updated the packages on my Ubuntu PPA and Fedora Copr.

Here are the bugs tracking the update for Ubuntu 24.04 and Fedora.

20 Likes

Nice! That release should hopefully come to rolling distros like OpenSUSE, Arch and OpenMandriva very soon.

I’ve put the update request in for Solus as well

Awesome! Out now for Arch as well

I can confirm a perceivable improvement in battery life with light usage on debian unstable (with power-profiles-daemon 0.2 and custom built 6.7.4 kernel with enabled CONFIG_AMD_PMF and CONFIG_AMDTEE) versus power-profiles-daemon 0.13-2 and kernel 6.6.15, with no apparent drawbacks in stability.

3 Likes

Great news, it includes M_L’s patches!

Woohoo! :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Hello, is there any official guide for this for the AMD 7040 13"?

1 Like

Check this out: https://github.com/FrameworkComputer/linux-docs/blob/main/Fedora39-amd-fw13.md