Powerbank FW 13 AMD

Welcome to the forum jookra.

1 Like

That’s good to know. I have the Anker 737 87w version. I haven’t tried it yet because my FW13 hasn’t arrived yet. I will be testing it out as I bought it for travel that I start in January. So I’m testing everything I’m buying a few times before packing/stowing it away. I may be in trouble with the 87w. I never thought about overheating.

EDIT: I was mistaken on which bank I have. This is what I have. However, as stated, I haven’t tested it yet.

You have the 737 AC charger, correct?

Mine is the powerbank, Anker does not help when they call everything 737…

On this.

As the laptop will take 60W at max for a while yes 65W is only suitable maybe for 10min.

I read somewhere that the FW13, at least the AMD one can draw 100w, giving enough power to charge the battery and use the CPU at full power, with a 65w charger will not leave much power budget if the battery needs to be charged.
That happens on my current laptop, that only pulls 65w from the USB-c port, when it needs charging, the CPU/GPU steals power budget from the battery.
The Anker 737 Powerbank, should charge the laptop fully, if not in use.
I’ll test this behavior once my Framework laptop arrives.

1 Like

I haven’t seen that.

I have the 11th Gen. I charge using a 85W adapter and the max I measure is 64 watts to the adapter and the adapter probably uses 2 to 3 watts (efficiency lose)

Whichever laptop I doubt the CPU will use anywhere near 60W foe more than a few minutes, so the battery will get plenty of charge most of the time.

Check up on the power usage of the CPU and add a bit for RAM and Screen etc.

Do you want to use the CPU etc. at max power all the time?

So here’s post of max watts used and that can’t be for long, so plenty left for screen and charging etc. I would think :

1 Like

I have just found this but I doubt that wattage can be maintained even for 2 min.

Thanks for all this research, I’ll read it…

1 Like

The 60W charger that FW supply for the FW 13 delivers 20V at up to 3A when charging the FW 13.

My guess is that if the FW 13 can accept more, it does it by staying at 20V and accepting up to 5A, but that’s just a guess, it could be more flexible than that.

I presume the FW 180W charger for the FW 16 does 36V at 5A, but again that’s also just a guess.

It does.
Framework’s 180W USB-C power adapter offers 5v, 9v, 15v at 3A, and 20v, 28v, 36v at 5A. Plus AVS (adaptive voltage scaling) 15v-36v 5A. Youtube review & test

Another bit of info.

1 Like

ZMI 20 or CUKTECH 15/20/30

Another post on the wattage than can be drawn.

Not under stock conditions and that was also not drawn that was package power, what was actually drawn in this case was a lot more.

I don’t see the relevance as the issue was just indicating what power could be drawn to assess the wattage of a power bank for any use.

and especially to @jookra

That is exactly that makes my numbers pretty much irrelevant to this discussion, they can only be achieved if you actively try to really hard (you have to really go out of your way and do some pretty sketchy stuff to bypass that). The stock config will limit you to less than 30W sustained pretty much no matter what you do.

Above 45W powerbank should be able to get a bit of charging in even under full load. I did test a whole bunch of power-banks myself during the pd mess with the embedded controller and now all pd power-banks I have work just fine down to the 18W ones, 5V unfortunately still doesn’t work without kick-starting.

1 Like

From my experience using a laptop that can only draw 60w (my old one), only powerbanks capable of 100w here worth of using, and the 65w and 45w ones were incapable of delivering the rated power for more than 15 minutes. They always overheated.

From my experience there are bad ones in all size classes, I have 100W ones that can barely sustain 60 and 18W ones that’ll do 20W all day long. It’s less about the size and more about how it’s done. The one I mainly carry for laptop use is 65W and it’ll do that till it’s empty.

1 Like

Yeap! Quality over quantity it’s always the same. More so if you don’t try to skimp on finances

Important not the connect quality and price too hard though, some of my best performers are the cheapest of the cheap chinesium and I have dealt with some pretty awful “premium” “brand name” ones.

2 Likes