Introducing the new Framework Laptop 13 with Intel Core Ultra Series 1 processors

They do run it at a lower PL1 than most other manufacturers, yes. Keep in mind that Cinebench a fairly short burst workload, and the sustained 31 watts PL2 is kind of average when comparing a lot of the 155H devices, so sustained workloads will likely be up there.

I have a Ultra 7 165H preparing to ship, but I need RAM. The original posting says it will support up to 96GB, but the Framework Marketplace only sells memory kits up to 64GB.

This page says that 48GB memory modules will work, but it gives me pause that Framework doesn’t sell them, and it’s not evident even on the tech spec page that it supports more than 64GB.

I would like to max out the RAM, but is there a reason to avoid a 96GB configuration?

Cancelled the Intel and ordered an AMD one instead. Besides my A770 was shit with anything less than DX 12 titles anyway.

Hope it turns up before the 20th September, I am off to UCL on that date.

1 Like

This comes down to what the CPU manufaturer says is supported.

AMD maintained that their Phoenix CPUs do not have official support for 24 & 48 GiB modules. Intel states it very officially in their public specs. Any module that implements the Jedec standard how Intel defines it is officially supported. You do not need a manufacturer to white label their own memory. That is mostly convenience and because many consumers are confused by XMP and pick modules that do not implement the Jedec specs as they thought.

The ‘average’ PL21 is in the mid 40s. 42-45 ish. 31 is low in the pack.

If I bully the amd 13 enough it can do 85W for short periods of time and 45W sustained but that took quite a bit of figuring out to get around those power limits.

Not shipping the 13 with ptm or lm stock is kind of a missed opportunity, is factory applying ptm that expensive?

1 Like

Lenovo use PTM 7958 (paste) on their gaming laptops. Even if framework offered it for an extra few dollars it would be worth buying. Upsiren PCM-1 (PTM 7950 rebrand) is dirt cheap on aliexpress and I used it on my two BC PS3’s.

https://www.reddit.com/r/framework/comments/12btdh7/ptm7950_lowered_temps_by_15c/

1 Like

Question on the Colored Expansion Cards - Have a preorder currently for a Red Bezel, and also two Red Expansion USB-C cards.

Is the red the same shade of red? Or slightly different? Hard to tell in the pictures :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome.

It’s hard to imagine a green bezel and a diff green card, but I imagine, apart from the occasional new batch then they would match.

Take care.

I know you said red but what’s in a colour offset

1 Like

I can tell you on Monday where mine with red bezel and USB-C cards is scheduled to arrive.

3 Likes

Sweet! Let me know! My shipment isn’t until September, would love to know if I should change the USB-C cards to aluminum or not. I’m assuming it will match.

1 Like

Curious about this as well…because even if the material between the two are the same…they would still appear with different shade of red if the finish is slightly off (e.g. different degree of matte).

Kind of like paint…you can match RGB, but if you can’t match the sheen…they’ll be off.

Then there’s also a longer term question…do they age the same way. (UV) Most notable in clear / translucent and white materials.

Yeap! all that so I think I would go for 2 x red USBC for charging. 2 green for others and an orange bezel.

:slight_smile:

Just missing the blue, yellow and purple, though wine colour would be my fav.

Ok so I could just cover them is glittery nail varnish ~ yeap!

FedEx actually managed to ship my Framework from Taiwan to Germany in 2 days, so no need to wait until Monday:

Not sure if the lighting in the picture makes it look bad, but in person the bezel and expansion card color and texture look virtually identical.

7 Likes

oh that is actually nice

4 Likes

Gotta admit the colored expansion cards look less goofy than I’d have though.

6 Likes

Thank you! This looks great, enjoy!

1 Like

Looks very nice!

Is the coloured expansion card lighter in weight?

Now you just need the Iron Man Mk 5 briefcase to go with it.

1 Like

So quick first impressions on the Framework 13 Core Ultra (125H), keep in mind this is my first Framework device:

• Assembling the DIY edition was fairly straightforward, although as some people here have already mentioned the display cable routing around the bezel could be explained better - I still don’t know what the adhesive sticker on the cable is supposed to stick to and nowhere did I see a mention of it, so I just left it as-is for now
  • The 2.8k panel is great. I actually like the size of the UI with 200% scaling, so I get where they are coming from. Having an effective real estate of 1440x960 on a 13.5" inch screen seems about right. UI size is very similar to how a 14" MacBook Pro looks by default
    • Even the response time is fine to be honest. It’s not on the level of a decent gaming display and obviously nowhere near an OLED, but it’s fine and at least for me works decent enough for casual gaming
  • Under Fedora, everything just works out of the box. I might switch to Tumbleweed later, but wanted to go with a distro that’s officially supported first
  • A very unpleasant and almost binary fan curve was quickly fixed by fw-fanctrl. The device can still get loud, but it fixes annoying fan speed up and speed down on short performance bursts
    • I do hope they come up with a more advanced cooling solution (vapor chamber etc.) in future mainboards though
  • Performance for every day tasks is very snappy and even the iGPU seems to be pretty decent
  • The speakers are nowhere near as bad as the internet made be believe. They are no MacBook Pro speakers, but they are more than good enough for spoken content
  • I generally like the keyboard, but it’s very easy to rub some of the half-height keys (arrow up, esc and del is where I noticed it the most) against the keyboard frame when you push them down a bit sideways. Not a big deal but still a minor annoyance
  • The trackpad actually works quite well. Not a MacBook trackpad, but still better than my ThinkPad T490’s trackpad
  • I like the expansion card system, but the fit is quite snug when trying to get them out
  • Separate hardware switches for microphone and webcam are awesome
  • The memory kit I purchased for my Framework (I did go for a 64 GB kit after all, Kingston FURY Impact 5600 MHz CL40, KF556S40IBK2-64) works out of the box
  • My (previously used) Samsung 980 Pro works as well
3 Likes

I got in my 125H motherboard yesterday and installed 96gb of ram (two crucial 48gb dimms), everything works as expected, so you can max it out if you want.

2 Likes