Proposal for a New Product Development – A Framework Lapdock!

Dear Framework Team and Community,

I hope this message finds you all well. I am an avid user and a big fan of Framework’s commitment to sustainability and innovation in the tech industry. Your approach to creating customizable, repairable, and upgradable laptops is genuinely revolutionary, and it’s thrilling to see how Framework continuously pushes the boundaries.

I wish to propose an idea for a new product that could potentially complement the existing line of Framework laptops – a “Lapdock.” As we continue to integrate more mobility and flexibility into our tech, a Lapdock designed by Framework could serve as a perfect bridge between the portable nature of smartphones and the powerful features of Framework laptops.

Why a Framework Lapdock?

1. Portability and Flexibility: It would be an ultra-portable device that can easily integrate with Framework products and smartphones, offering more screen real estate and typing comfort than a phone.
  2. Sustainability: By utilizing the processing power of smartphones, the Lapdock can remain lightweight and less resource-intensive, aligning perfectly with Framework’s mission of environmental consciousness.
  3. Innovation: This product could tap into the growing market of users who desire a minimalist, efficient setup for on-the-go use, potentially attracting a new customer base.
  4. Customizability and Upgradability: Following the Framework ethos, this Lapdock could be designed to be as customizable and upgradable as your laptops, offering options for different screen sizes, keyboard layouts, and additional features like extra battery packs or solar charging panels.

I believe a Lapdock could be a fantastic addition to the Framework family, offering a unique product that stands out in the market while adhering to the values that Framework champions. I would love to see this concept come to life and am keen to hear what the community and the Framework team think about this potential venture.

Thank you for considering this proposal. I am looking forward to your thoughts and hopefully, to seeing a Framework Lapdock become a reality!

Regards Roberto.

Do you have any basic schematics or drawings for such a design? I am having a bit of difficulty visualizing such a design and a drawing would be very helpful to see what kind of dock you are referring to. Thanks!

3 Likes

i have a very basic question, what do you intend when you say “Lapdock”? i know what’s intended when we talk about dock and docking stations, but given your “why a framework lapdock” description, i find myself in the dark on what kind of product you are thinking, i cant even imagine a shape actually

1 Like

For some reason I think the OP wants basically a laptop/dock for a smartphone. So all the compute is provided by the phone, even so far as serving as a touchpad while the dock is providing battery power, bigger screen, additional connectivity options and peripheral expansion.

A lapdock, like the one shown in the link (LapDock Samsung Dex Screen Android Monitor Laptop), indeed combines a monitor, a keyboard, and I hope also a webcam, all in one portable device. It would be fantastic if “Framework”, known for its sustainable and modular design philosophy, decided to produce their own lapdock. The ability to easily upgrade or replace components, just like in their laptops, would make the device extremely versatile and sustainable in the long term.

A lapdock is nothing more than a docking station with a monitor, a keyboard, and possibly even a webcam.

Personally, I would use a lapdock with a miniPC or with my mobile phone to create a more powerful and flexible mobile workstation. Especially when traveling, having such a compact and easy-to-set-up option would be incredibly useful. Just think of the possibility to expand the capabilities of your phone or miniPC with a full-size keyboard and a larger screen, while keeping everything easily portable.

What do you think? Do you believe a “Framework” lapdock could make a difference for users looking for modularity and sustainability in a mobile solution?