PSA: don't upgrade to linux kernel 5.19.12

FYI this was fixed in the 5.19.13 kernel as well: Regression on 5.19.12, display flickering on Framework laptop - Jerry Ling

now closing the loop and self-referencing the thread that was in the email :wink:

8 Likes

Confirming that 5.9.13-arch1-1 is now working. No trouble with the display.

5 Likes

Just got my framework and i was so excited at the first moment. Then i downloaded a fresh arch iso with the 5.19.12 kernel … you can’t imagine how disappointed i was for half a hour, thankfully i found this thread :joy:

2 Likes

:wave: Fedora peeps, 5.19.13 is fully available via standard update. :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Nice, we made it to kernel.org :smiley:

5.19.14 has just dropped too.

1 Like

I just got the update for 5.19.13 in Fedora 36, and it automatically it set my default-index back to 0 during installation.

1 Like

So if you do a grubby --default-kernel or --default-index after you install the 5.19.13 package you can verify that it has changed the index back for you. In my case it required no additional effort on my part. dnf upgrade, reboot, profit. The system is working like normal. Also, you guys are all awesome. Thanks everyone for sharing info.

4 Likes

This is the beauty of the Framework community. Wonderful.

3 Likes

Hello,

I had to roll back to a previous kernel release, 5.19.12 fails to load. It seems like it is related to this bug.

I am running Opensuse Tumbleweed. The issue is not Dependent on the Distribution however.

1 Like

Can confirm - problem also occurs with my 12th-Gen Framework running Fedora Kinoite 37-pre. Rolling back from 5.19.12 to 5.19.11 fixes the problem.

2 Likes

Problem confirmed, Fredora 36,

1 Like

FYI for Fedora users - kernel 5.19.13 is being pushed to testing:

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2022-356f5d97a9 (Fedora 37)
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2022-6805c86132 (Fedora 36)

I can confirm that 5.19.13 on Fedora Kinoite 37-pre fixes the problem with 5.19.12.

3 Likes

Greetings,

I updated my Linux Kernel on Opensuse Tumbleweed. Fixed the issue. Running Kernel kernel-default-5.19.13-1.1.x86_64

Thanks All. :v:

this is the same as PSA: don't upgrade to linux kernel 5.19.12 - #68 by Matthew_Boehm

1 Like

I got my Framework DIY edition just a couple of weeks ago and had issues with the Fedora 36 System, kernel version 5.19.12. When booting, the display would blink on and off, in an interval of a couple of seconds (or stay in the LUKS password request with a blank screen). On external displays that were connected, this did not happen. I was able to fix it with a kernel upgrade to 5.19.14 and just wanted to mention/document this here, as I read in an article that the kernel version 5.19.12 could damage displays that use the internal GPU from Intel processors (Linux-Kernel 5.19.12 könnte Displays von Laptops mit Intel-GPU beschädigen | heise online).

Therefore, I would recommend skipping the version 5.19.12 and go directly to 5.19.13 or above.

1 Like

I ran into this issue with a previous update of the Linux Kernel. I run Arch Linux, which always updates fairly quickly… the fix that I like to implement is I pre-install both the Linux AND Linux-LTS kernels. Then in GRUB one can easily select Linux-LTS when/if theres ever an issue.

Another, long-time issue, is that VirtualBox doesn’t like the newest 5.19.x kernels - so having Linux-LTS installed side-by-side allows me to run it, too - Linux-LTS doesn’t seem to break anything else; a less experienced user could just run it all the time, too.

Hope that helps someone; if you don’t know how to install Linux-LTS just Google ‘Arch Linux linux-lts’… cheers.

3 Likes

Does anyone know about affected version numbers for Ubuntu? The (very) recent release of Ubuntu 22.10 uses a kernel with a version number of 5.19.0-21 which I think is a 5.19.0 base with 21 versions of Ubuntu patches…

1 Like

Ubuntu does their own thing with kernel versioning. But 22.10’s beta and the final release kernels work fine

3 Likes

Thanks. I knew, of course, that Ubuntu did their own thing with version numbers: essentially they seem to choose a kernel to use for a particular release but then backport patches from later kernels to their base for that release and they add an extra component to the version number. That’s why I asked if anyone happened to know the relationship…

I did try a live DVD for the Ubuntu 22.10 full release (OK), and it worked, so I then ran my upgrade from 22.04 to 22.10 and can confirm it also seemed to work OK for me with no problems on my 11th gen i7-without-the-management-do-hickeys.

1 Like

FYI, 6.0.1 and above have not had any screen issues for me, in the Arch Linux part of the world.

1 Like