PSA: don't upgrade to linux kernel 5.19.12

I got my Framework DIY edition just a couple of weeks ago and had issues with the Fedora 36 System, kernel version 5.19.12. When booting, the display would blink on and off, in an interval of a couple of seconds (or stay in the LUKS password request with a blank screen). On external displays that were connected, this did not happen. I was able to fix it with a kernel upgrade to 5.19.14 and just wanted to mention/document this here, as I read in an article that the kernel version 5.19.12 could damage displays that use the internal GPU from Intel processors (Linux-Kernel 5.19.12 könnte Displays von Laptops mit Intel-GPU beschÀdigen | heise online).

Therefore, I would recommend skipping the version 5.19.12 and go directly to 5.19.13 or above.

1 Like

I ran into this issue with a previous update of the Linux Kernel. I run Arch Linux, which always updates fairly quickly
 the fix that I like to implement is I pre-install both the Linux AND Linux-LTS kernels. Then in GRUB one can easily select Linux-LTS when/if theres ever an issue.

Another, long-time issue, is that VirtualBox doesn’t like the newest 5.19.x kernels - so having Linux-LTS installed side-by-side allows me to run it, too - Linux-LTS doesn’t seem to break anything else; a less experienced user could just run it all the time, too.

Hope that helps someone; if you don’t know how to install Linux-LTS just Google ‘Arch Linux linux-lts’
 cheers.

3 Likes

Does anyone know about affected version numbers for Ubuntu? The (very) recent release of Ubuntu 22.10 uses a kernel with a version number of 5.19.0-21 which I think is a 5.19.0 base with 21 versions of Ubuntu patches

1 Like

Ubuntu does their own thing with kernel versioning. But 22.10’s beta and the final release kernels work fine

3 Likes

Thanks. I knew, of course, that Ubuntu did their own thing with version numbers: essentially they seem to choose a kernel to use for a particular release but then backport patches from later kernels to their base for that release and they add an extra component to the version number. That’s why I asked if anyone happened to know the relationship

I did try a live DVD for the Ubuntu 22.10 full release (OK), and it worked, so I then ran my upgrade from 22.04 to 22.10 and can confirm it also seemed to work OK for me with no problems on my 11th gen i7-without-the-management-do-hickeys.

1 Like

FYI, 6.0.1 and above have not had any screen issues for me, in the Arch Linux part of the world.

1 Like