QD-OLEDs in frame.work Laptops

As you know these amazing displays will soon be available. I’m trying to determine if the current frame.work laptops are compatible. Can a hobbyist replace the display in a frame.work with one of these? Are these details on the next frame.work being able to support such a display?
Thanks!

5 Likes

Yes you could but it’ll be up to Samsung Display (not the same as Samsung Electronics) to create a display in a 3:2 aspect ratio at the correct size. The tech is new so it’s damnably expensive. I don’t think you will see it on this gen or next gen

But perhaps after that you might see it and again, you could always replace the display yourself if and when you find a panel.

As for supporting modification like that, it won’t void your warranty most likely but don’t expect Framework to help you if the panel dies. The warranty obviously only covers Framework’s handiwork.

1 Like

So has to be 3:2 - and there was already supposed to be 90hz Samsung OLED laptop displays last year… So if the modern OLED fits, then what about the bezel and connector? Those are universal? I’m not versed in laptop internals - but it seems ThinkPad enthusiasts were able to replace their displays with OLEDs (though they had to order a bunch of small parts from various places).

@John I can’t find the post where a framework employee named the exact model of connector but I did find this quote

The bezel is magnetic so is easily removed, I wish I could find the exact connector, I know it’s on the forum somewhere, perhaps you can find it with sufficient sleuthing or even just emailing Framework support

So long as your replacement display has the correct connector and is the correct size and aspect ratio, it should work fine

I have just confirmed it, pulled the model number from the back of the display, and looking it up tells me it is indeed a 40 pin eDP connector

2 Likes

From my past experience working in a computer store you will also want to find a panel that has the connector in the correct orientation (there are left and right ones iirc) and one that isn’t too thick, usually there is some clearance for a thicker panel but there also exists quite some difference in terms of panel thickness.

Probably the easiest way to ensure a correct panel is to pull out the current one, look it up on panelook or something similar and verify the dimensions.

2 Likes

Hoping these will fit! Samsung Starts Mass Production on 240Hz OLED Displays for Laptops | PCMag

I see the new Dev One HP laptop is decent, but its screen is crap like most “work laptops” (for some strange reason). So a frame.work with a decent OLED would destroy it!

1 Like

@John They look like 16:9 panels so I don’t think they would fit at all.

1 Like

So that means if we find an OLED with the right aspect ratio that it would fit into a frame.work seamlessly?

1 Like

Right connector, right physical size, right aspect ratio

If all that is correct then it should be a drop in fit

I think all power is delivered thru the connector so power draw should be immaterial

Well that would be great. Now we have to wait for more of these qd-oleds to come out to test it. It could help battery life too with mostly dark themes as the pixels are actually off.

Yup, it is.

Ahaha sadly it’s not likely one will come out with the exact specs of the Framework display. Your best bet would just be waiting on Framework to release a new display then trying to wait for a compatible one.

1 Like

What do you mean “exact specs”? That’s what we’re trying to figure out. Based on the above it merely has to be 3:2 and the same size. That shouldn’t be too rare considering all of the OLED devices out there.

Ahah, sadly 3:2 is a rare aspect ratio, I’ve found no laptops with OLED screens of that aspect ratio, not to mention 13.3" (I’ve done quite a bit of research trust me).

Making it even harder is the 40pin eDP connector. Not exactly uncommon, but it makes it so that even if you find the right size of a display and right type, there’s a 90% chance it won’t be compatible.

2 Likes

What about these? https://bytexd.com/hardware/best-32-aspect-ratio-laptops/

I’m determined

@John Right aspect ratio, wrong sizes, not qd-oled and unknown connectors. We are just going to have to wait for a good long while I’m afraid

i saw this one on aliexpress

R$ 649,80 | 13.5 polegada 3840x2160 oled atna35vj01 ATNA35VJ01-002 portátil oled painel de exibição de tela lcd não-toque 40pin

it’s 16:9

3 Likes