Random hard freezes fw13 amd7840u win11

had to use driver booster to find the driver,
not a good idea I know, but I hate to see ! in Device manager

and no it did not prevent the random freeze :frowning:

As far as I know, if you were installing Windows 11 fresh on an AMD motherboard, the Framework instructions for this exact process did say to use RUFUS to modify the Windows 11 image on your flash drive to avoid this very issue with the installation not proceeding due to not having the correct drivers. That being said, they should probably bring attention to this on the order page of the FW13 AMD, since it’s not completely obvious that the Windows 11 Installer doesn’t have the drivers for WiFi on the RZ616 (I personally ran into a similar problem where I had NOT installed the WiFi drivers yet and when I swapped out from the Intel to the AMD board, I couldn’t sign into my account because I didn’t have internet access :crazy_face:, had to swap the Intel board back in, install the drivers, THEN swap the AMD board in again and log in).

Also yeah, I’ve been picking up on the same issue with WiFi taking a bit to turn on again after I exit hibernate mode, I still have my AX210 from when I was using my Intel board, so maybe I’ll make the switch to see if it fares any better.

My laptop is unusable it doesn’t boot anymore after 2 months this should not be the case with a new laptop that costs 1600 euro’s

This sounds like a separate issue from the blue screens. Have you reached out to support?

it happened after many lockups and bluescreens like descriped here: https://www.reddit.com/r/framework/comments/196pc4m/dead_after_6_weeks_framework_amd_13_7840/
Now I will also get a replacement motherboard bios is RIP

Progress I hope. This bios release should have the touchpad freeze fix.

2 Likes

Suffered another BSOD the day. Staggered to a halt. Was browsing, system momentarily locked up, came back to life, moved the cursor then froze fully.

Hopefully a fix is identified and sent out soon, or a workaround is identified that doesn’t include having to use an external mouse.

1 Like

I also experienced the freeze on Win11 when scrolling on the website using touchpad.
I don’t know whether this will happen on Linux or not.

Before the fix is available, I will try to use an external mouse and keep the use of touchpad limited.

Did you make sure to charge it? For me that was the issue. I just left it plugged and turned it on and it worked.

After it turned off without issues then it made problems worse. You should expect from a brand new laptop that you should turn it off without killing the bios in the proces. My Framework has some really sirrieus issues :frowning:I will send my old motherboard back to them and receive a new one hopefully they can find a cause.

Hello,

in the span of one month I have experienced coupel of PC freezes. The PC was completely unresponsive and only way out was to hard reset with the powerbutton.

All of these unclean shutdowns / reboots were caused by this issue. Yesterday I had two, and today I already had one.

The earlier freezes resulted in BSOD. But te last three freezes I waited some tens of seconds and then lost patience and hard resetted my system with the power button.

Initially I have installed W11 from scratch and applied immediately the official FW drivers pack.

I kindly ask for assistance with this issue.

Anything in the system log immediately before those events you screenshotted? Or did you capture the blue screen error?

You might want to try a memory test, since that’s the easiest hardware issue to directly diagnose.

And it happened again just now. After I wokeup my pc from hybernation, couple of minutes of internet browsing and suddenly freeze. This time I let it sit frozen for longer and after some minutes I got the BSOD. Unfortunately I did not manage to catch the eact code.

Analyzing the events from event viewer I can see that in the same minute when the freeze happened, number of errors accured.

Rings any bell?

How can I test my memory? What utility to use for that?

1 Like

Simply search for Memory Diagnostic tool in the Windows search bar (or even in Powertoys Run) and run it. It will either ask you to restart now or to run the scan the next time you restart Windows.

1 Like

Did you use your touchpad?
If this is the same issue as discussed in this thread, it is probably related to some problem between bios and touchpad.
Many here tried to switch to an external mouse and so far, no one reported to have the same BSOD Freezes while using it.
You could give it a try and if it stops freezing, you probably have to wait until the next BIOS update to be able to use your touchpad “safely” again

2 Likes

Just to report that I’m having these same problems with my AMD FW13.

I noticed straight away that the cursor was a bit laggy and jumpy, but I almost always used my laptop plugged in (but without an external mouse) and hadn’t had any bluescreens and thought I could live with the lagginess.

But recently I’ve been using it unplugged and it’s cursor lag and blue screens galore! I had three in 5 minutes the other day. Glad to see it’s a wider problem but disappointed that I only used the laptop unplugged after 30 days, otherwise I’d have sent it back.

Yes absolutely. This was always on battery with touchpad situation. With external keyboard I never experienced this.

After a couple of months since my last BSOD/DPC Watchdog Violation, I had another one a few minutes ago. I was using the trackpad while on battery ~70%. I had not used the trackpad on battery since the last BSOD. This seems follow the pattern mentioned in more recent posts here.

Due to a change in office situation, I was using the laptop exclusively in a stationary setting on power with external keyboard and mouse, rarely touching the trackpad and if so, while still on power. No BSOD for over 2 months.

Today’s BSOD happened about 10 minutes after switching to battery and using the trackpad, after a full day of working on power with external mouse and keyboard.

I would definitely prefer not to have this problem. But the workaround seems obvious (stay on power with external HIDs) and Framework’s latest responses here make clear that they are working on it.

Config: I am on the latest Windows 11 release (23H2), latest AMD drivers (24.1.1), applied the PCIe power setting recommended early in this thread, have the 32GB Kingston Fury kit that many others here have, and of course BIOS 3.03. I have had intermittent BSODs (and been lurking on this thread) since getting the machine in late October (Batch 3).

If you haven’t already, I’d recommend sending a ticket to Framework support.

2 Likes

Download BlueScreenView, it’ll tell you the code and what the cause is.

You can also use WinDbg in Administrator mode and open the dump file from the crash to see the relevant information.