[RESOLVED] Brightness and keyboard backlight keys stopped working (Ubuntu 22.04)

With a recent update, the brightness and keyboard backlight functions stopped working from the internal keyboard. With the external keyboard, the display brightness can still be controlled. I tried different kernel versions, but that does not change anything. How can I fix this?

I’m on elementary OS 7.1 (Ubuntu 22.04) with a 13" 12th gen Framework laptop.

Hi Wout,

As elementary is based on Ubuntu 22.04 (as Ubuntu 22.04 is supported and tested, I cannot fathom why any updates would change the behavior.

Can I get a look at your grub parameters?

cat /etc/default/grub

We’re looking at this section here, to make sure the parameters are correct as outlined below.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash module_blacklist=hid_sensor_hub"

sudo update-grub (fixed typo)

If instead, you’re using the /etc/modprobe.d/framework-als-blacklist.conf approach, this may be why it’s not working. We recommending using the above grub method as it is tested.

1 Like

So, for some reason, grub was configured as quiet splash while I’m pretty sure I added the module_blacklist parameter at some point during the installation.

Anyway, it’s working again now. Thanks!

1 Like

Awesome, delighted to hear this has been resolved.

Just want to note that the update step is sudo update-grub, with a hyphen in between.

1 Like

Whoops, that was a typo - thanks and fixed.

Just FYI, this was reset twice since my last post in this thread. What could cause those resets?

Is this this happening after a kernel update? If so, please walk me through the process of how you run said update.

Not 100% sure if it happens after a kernel update, but I assume that’s the case. I run updates as usual, either through apt upgrade or through the elementary OS’ app store.

FYI, just did another kernel update and it’s still okay, so that’s certainly not the issue.

1 Like