UPDATE: Self-resolved by connecting my MacBook Pro and doing a factory reset of the external monitor through its menu options! Leaving this post up in case it’s helpful for anyone else.
— ORIGINAL POST —
Hi everyone, I’ve never had to troubleshoot peripherals before, so please let me know if the information below is insufficient.
- Framework 13 DIY Edition
- Firmware Version: 03.04
- Processor: 13th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-1340P × 16
- Graphics: Intel® Graphics (RPL-P)
- Fedora Linux 38 (Workstation Edition) 64-bit
- GNOME Version: 44.5
- Windowing System: Wayland
- Kernel Version: Linux 6.5.6-200.fc38.x86_64
- 4 Framework USB-C Expansion Cards
I installed Steam following the instructions here, and it immediately made my external monitor unusable, in that the display remains black (initially with some occasional flickering along the top/bottom). The monitor itself and the HDMI cable is verified to be functioning because it works perfectly with my MacBook Pro.
It is, however, being recognized by the system:
- Uninstalling Steam followed by
dnf clean all(currently re-installed, via rpmfusion)
- Installing the Intel Media Driver for VAAPI from rpmfusion (this seems to have resolved the flickering issue, but the display is still black)
- Plugging the HDMI cable in/out of all 4 ports with
journalctl -frunning, which looks like this:
As a side note, Firefox crashes whenever I plug in the HDMI cable (but seemingly only for the first time after a fresh boot; if I unplug/plug back in, it doesn’t crash again):
fedora firefox.desktop: Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[GFX1-]: Wayland protocol error: wl_surface@60: error 2: Buffer size (1503x1002) must be an integer multiple of the buffer_scale (2). fedora firefox.desktop: (t=1305.37) [GFX1-]: Wayland protocol error: wl_surface@60: error 2: Buffer size (1503x1002) must be an integer multiple of the buffer_scale (2). fedora audit: ANOM_ABEND auid=1000 uid=1000 gid=1000 ses=3 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 pid=3137 comm="firefox" exe="/usr/lib64/firefox/firefox" sig=11 res=1
At this point, I’m out of ideas on what to do next. Thank you so much in advance for any/all insights!