[RESOLVED] FW13 Ryzen7640 on Debian with 3.03 Bios: Cannot suspend

Basically the subject. This is a brand-new FW13 with fresh Debian bookworm. Install went fine. After first boot, there were lots of odd issues (display randomly blanking, small tasks taking forever) so I upgraded the bios to 3.03 and that fixed all of those issues, save one. I cannot suspend. It appears the laptop never reaches suspend at all as the power button light stays on constantly. But if I trigger a suspend, the computer becomes nonresponsive, screen blank, keypress doesn’t do anything, etc. Have to hard reboot.

Any idea what this could be?

Run this for ideas.

1 Like

If that looks clean look at this:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1053856

Whenever I generate an initramfs I get this:

W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ip_discovery.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega10_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_11_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_11_toc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_10_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_10_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/aldebaran_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_imu.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_4_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_4_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_4_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_4_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_0_toc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sdma_6_0_3.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_4_mes1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_4_mes_2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_4_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mes1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mes_2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_2_mes_2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_1_mes_2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_0_mes_2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/smu_13_0_10.bin for module amdgpu

But I have firmware-amd-graphics v.20230210-5 installed. I can’t locate the above missing files in available packages.

Yup; it’s that Debian bug I linked above. You need a newer snapshot.

Welcome to the community,

As Mario was kind enough to point out, it’s a bug.

This is the path forward above.

The bug link is the https://xxxxxxx(masking just in case)@gmail.com. It looks wrong.

1 Like

Thanks. Sorry for what is probably a basic question, but the bug report is for a later version of the package than I have installed (20230515-3). And the bug report specifically states that the version that I have installed (20230210-5) works correctly, but it does not. Is it possible to pull the missing binaries directly from upstream?

Thanks again for the help!

Edit: I will try installing the current testing version of the firmware-graphics-amd when I get home tonight to see if that fixes it. But I’m still not certain if that bug report is relevant since it states that the version I have installed works.

Okay, so I installed firmware-amd-graphics from sid and I can now suspend! Yay! Thanks for all the help. Hopefully this issue helps others.

I’m still not really clear on the connection to the bug report but I appreciate the hint to get the latest drivers.

4 Likes

Coping my response from another thread ([RESOLVED] 13" Ryzen 5 + Debian 12 fails to wake from sleep - #14 by Matt_Hartley) if somebody is looking for an answer :

Hello, I had the same problem with Debian 12,
successfully resolved by extracting last tarball from here (kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git - Repository of firmware blobs for use with the Linux kernel) into /usr/lib/firmware/

And I comment to tell that updating initramfs is mandatory (didn’t work before with this error in dmesg: firmware: failed to load amdgpu/gc_11_0_1_mes_2.bin (-2) )

So do : update-initramfs -u

Thank you

1 Like

Just throwing my experience in here:

I installed latest Debian stable (12.4) and this suspend behavior seemed to be my only issue.

I upgraded to Trixie (testing), and suspend works fine now.

I still get an error when running the above script:

🚦 AMDGPU firmware is missing
        The amdgpu driver loads firmware from /lib/firmware/amdgpu
        In some cases missing firmware will prevent a successful suspend cycle.
        Upgrade to a newer snapshot at https://gitlab.com/kernel-firmware/linux-firmware
        amdgpu 0000:c1:00.0: Direct firmware load for amdgpu/gc_11_0_1_mes_2.bin failed with error -2
For more information on this failure see:
        https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1053856

Even though the suspend seems to work fine.

I also still get all the above warnings when generating an initramfs, despite suspend working.

Maybe I’ll find that something else is broken, but I’m happy with trixie for now.

My sys info:

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 12
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.9
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.107.0
Qt Version: 5.15.10
Kernel Version: 6.5.0-5-amd64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 12 × AMD Ryzen 5 7640U w/ Radeon 760M Graphics
Memory: 14.8 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon Graphics
Manufacturer: Framework
Product Name: Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040Series)
System Version: A5

If you’re still seeing this on the updated snapshot then you should raise a bug with Debian. That firmware is upstream and all the other major distro picked it up. They just have a problem with their packaging.

This will be fixed on Debian side by https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/firmware-nonfree/-/merge_requests/85