[RESPONDED] 11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.17 Release

Great to hear! Does this firmware introduce compatibility with the 61Wh battery?

1 Like

Need to do a check with the community - anyone that updated 11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.19 Beta Release to this seeing issues at all?

If so, please list them as follows:

• Updating from which previous BIOS release? _______

• How did the update go, any issues experienced? _________

• Any bugs experienced (not feature requests, bugs)? _____________

2 Likes

@Matt_Hartley Is there an ETA for the UEFI and/or LVFS for 3.19?
Have not updated since I don’t have Windows…

1 Like

Not at the moment, but, I am also a full time Linux user. So, the second I get the word, it will appear here.

2 Likes

Hello,
Is bios 3.19 still in beta or has it been released as stable?
On the “Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (11th Gen Intel® Core™)” page I don’t see any mention of BETA.
Thank you, have a nice day,

It’s out of beta, and a stable version now. You can see the page below.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s out of Beta now.

2 Likes

Still no Linux option for the BIOS :frowning:

3 Likes

We’re managing a number of things in addition to this with a small team, yes it is coming, do not have an ETA at this time.

8 Likes

The delay is getting very discouraging.

There are more details in the 12th gen Beta BIOS thread regarding why the delay. I’m optimistic that everything will be sorted by the end of calendar year. I’ve been quite impatient as well but now that I’ve seen that things are fundamentally changing how this BIOS business is handled, I feel better about the process.

3 Likes

Priority right now is to get BIOS 3.03 out for Framework AMD boards as there are literally many issues that can be solved by a BIOS update. You might not have a way currently to update to 3.19 through lvfs but at least you do have BIOS update.

@TheTRUEAsian
No I do not. I do not run any version of Windows. If there was a DOS version of the executable MAYBE running a FreeDOS would be a way for me to do it, but NOT with Windows only.

1 Like

Again, my point is if you need the 3.19 BIOS update now, you can do so through Windows. Some people have updated their BIOS through Linux unofficially and if you want to do that, you can take a look at that. On the other hand, the Linux experience on the AMD is broken on 3.02 and 3.03 is needed ASAP to fix that.

While that is technically correct, customers shouldn’t have to buy a new OS in order to install their BIOS updates, when they’re already running an OS that’s (supposedly) officially supported by the hardware manufacturer.

2 Likes

Don’t need to buy Windows to use it. Could always just run it unactivated off something just to get BIOS updates. I believe Framework has mentioned in the past that their partners use Windows-based tools for BIOS updates and that’s why it takes a while to port them over.

I agree but it’s just comes down to the fact that Framework is a small company that hasn’t had enough dedicated staffing in place for BIOS updates. Things are changing based on their announcement in the 12th gen BIOS thread but it’ll take a while.

2 Likes

Or don’t. I know a hacky workaround exists that allows you to run .exe files through powershell in the Setup for Windows. So you wouldn’t even necessarily have to install Windows either. It’s still annoying and a native Linux solution would be better but it’s not like solutions don’t exist currently.

3 Likes

Ok, I’ll make a stronger statement, then: customers shouldn’t have to install a new OS just to update their BIOS when they already have another OS installed that’s supported by the manufacturer.

I understand the “why”, I just find it unacceptable. If you’re going to say you support multiple OSes, then support them equally. Otherwise don’t say you support more than just Windows.

I will certainly not be foolish enough to do something as critical as a BIOS update via a “hacky workaround”.

And if I did, and it bricked my laptop, I would fully expect Framework Support to justifiably laugh at me when I ask for help.

1 Like

You’re free to make that decision and no one would fault you for that. However, from a bigger perspective, Window’s marketshare dwarfs that of Linux so a lot of companies will develop tools for Windows. Framework has to use the tools provided to them by their partners full stop. They’re not at the size where they have in-house tools to provide BIOS updates which is something you would expect of large brands. They’ve done the best that they can by working to ensure their hardware works across several Linux distros and providing support to users if they have issues. They’ve also now have contracts for people to make BIOS updates so things should improve. I would say that goes a long way in terms of support.

2 Likes