[RESPONDED] 11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.17 Release

@Kieran_Levin This BIOS 3.17 has been in beta for a full month. I think originally it was announced it would be upgraded to “released” after a week or two, if no major deficiencies were discovered. Is there something specific that prevents it from being released? Should I downgrade to 3.10 to be safe?

2 Likes

How long have you been using 3.17 :rofl:

Beta or not, I’ve been running 3.17 since early December and aside from a USB oddity that I haven’t seen repeated (although I don’t have to use USB sticks super often - maybe just lucky) , 3.17 beta has been solid for me.

1 Like

I have been using 3.17 since December with no problems at all. 11 gen i7 running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

I wonder if this is a sign 11th gen have been finally benched. Many motherboards I’ve owned, the last BIOS never got out of beta.

3 Likes

I recall the Framework team mentioning that there were some additional power optimizations from the the Chromebook that would eventually be added to the 11th gen BIOS.

2 Likes

Not sure why this would have happened exactly, but starting today the Ubuntu Software Updater began notifying me about the new firmware, even though I am 100% sure I have configured LVFS to use the “beta” remote before Christmas.

Anyway, installing now.

Amoun, fancy seeing you here… :wink:

1 Like

If Framework ever push Coreboot to existing laptops, would it be updated via LVFS??

I’m speculating, but I suspect that you’d need to perform a process first. Otherwise some differing function would recognize that the next logical upgrade would be whatever the non-coreboot option is. We’re talking different builds, requiring explicit action undertaken by the user to switch gears into the other build.

1 Like

I don’t have an 11th gen anymore but I have a 12th gen 1280p and 6Ghz isn’t blocked; that said I still don’t have a 6Ghz router to attempt to connect to with it, but at least the frequencies show up as available.

1 Like

Finally updated to 3.17 and it seems that this issue persists. Hopefully the team gets around to fixing this, it’s annoying for those of us that have 6E APs.

1 Like

You likely haven’t. Clearing CMOS resets this and that is what happens during BIOS upgrade, presumably.

Kernel 6.1.9 on 3.17 displays the same behavior.

I’m curious as to what major regression has been found that has prevented this from going to a full release. Also, is there a timeline on the full release?

3 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Power button LED behaviour

I was wondering if there’s any word on 3.17 being finalized or if I should just go ahead with the beta? Beta’s been out for some time. Thanks for all your hard work! @Framework

4 Likes

I upgraded via lvfs on my 11th gen main board and had no hiccups in the process - however I do have the issue (mentioned in the 12th gen 3.06 BIOS thread) of having to reset USB-A and HDMI cards after rebooting.

I’m a general Framework fanboi, but it’s getting hard to not notice that we should expect a non-beta release “in about a week” is “about 4 months ago”. I don’t have any bios complaints so I’m not itching for it … but it just seems sloppy to leave that unaddressed.

Perhaps you should edit the very-visible pinned topic to correct this and perhaps provide an update on what’s going on?

7 Likes

Yeah c’mon Framework, push out the final version or just admit you have dropped active support for the 11th gen.

6 Likes

Non-beta was probably delayed to be a release with the support for the new battery module mentioned in Framework | 13th Gen Intel® Core™ and AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series join the.

1 Like