[RESPONDED] 12th gen users rejoice! [Linux]

Hello everyone,

I’ve recently done a fresh install of Arch Linux on my Framework 12th gen with GNOME as my desktop environment. To my surprise, both the ambient light sensor and the brightness keys work simultaneously without adding module_blacklist=hid_sensor_hub to my kernel parameters! Also, without applying any battery life optimizations (other than installing power-profiles-daemon and setting the power plan to power-saver), my device uses ~1% of battery life per hour during suspend (s2idle)!

13 Likes

I’m assuming on linux kernel 6.6.8?

Whoops, I forgot to say the kernel version! Here’s all the important hardware and software info from GNOME’s system details menu:

1 Like

I just tried removing that kernel argument on my 12th gen Framework laptop running Fedora 39 with this command:

sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --remove-args="module_blacklist=hid_sensor_hub"

I can confirm that ambient light sensor is now enabled and the brightness keys are still working.

After running that command and then restarting, I was able to turn on Automatic Screen Brightness in Settings > Power.

Thanks for posting this :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up @Chris_J :slight_smile:

I removed the blacklist arg and it’s working here too :
FW13 12th gen 1240P
Mint 21.2
kernel 6.2.0-39-generic
Gnome 42.9

Can also confirm that my overnight battery drain while suspended was 1% per hour.

at 2:30am my battery was at 64%
At 12:30pm my battery was at 53%

System Details Report

Report details

• Date generated: 2023-12-29 12:40:33

Hardware Information:

• Hardware Model: Framework Laptop 12th Gen Intel Core
  • Memory: 32.0 GiB
  • Processor: 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-1240P × 16
  • Graphics: Intel® Graphics (ADL GT2)
  • Disk Capacity: 1.0 TB

Software Information:

• Firmware Version: 03.05
  • OS Name: Fedora Linux 39 (Workstation Edition)
  • OS Build: (null)
  • OS Type: 64-bit
  • GNOME Version: 45.2
  • Windowing System: Wayland
  • Kernel Version: Linux 6.6.8-200.fc39.x86_64
1 Like

It works as you said @Chris_J, Thanks.

I’m on Fedora 39, KDE Plasma spin.

I’m on 13th Gen Intel Framework with kernel 6.6.8 and I can confirm that I too am now able to adjust brightness using the keyboard without having to blacklist hid_sensor_hub (and I checked that the ALS sensor works as well, not that I use it for anything).

I guess a recent kernel update must’ve solved it, though I can’t be bothered to bisect when exactly it was fixed… When I first installed Linux on this laptop I ran kernel 6.4.0 and with that version blacklisting the module was necessary…

1 Like