[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

Thanks for the detail - where do I navigate in these apps to see this diagnostic?

Do you have anything connected to these ports?

Well, let’s see. The SSD was inherited from an 11th Gen machine that was bumped up to 12th Gen, and it’s running an Intune / Azure AD joined setup, so I want to avoid doing that. I might simply invest on a new SSD, to be honest.

Did anyone see issues with their Ryzen boards when placed directly onto a Cooler master enclosure? Mine simply refuses to fire up and repeats the red-blue-red-blue LED pattern, and that’s regardless of whether it’s running off a 60 watt or a 100 watt USB-PD adapter. At this stage I tried 3 sets of SODIMMs (96GB of DDR5-5600, 64GB of DDR5-5200 and 16GB of DDR5-4800) - all 3 works just fine on my EliteBook 845G9. I am not even sure if I want to place it onto my FW13 chassis since I am not sure if it’s a board issue, RAM issue or something else…

Have you hooked it up to the battery? It may require the battery for first boot.

Well, kinda. I just figured this one out. Yeah, you’ll need to plug it onto the laptop chassis, but I think the solution isn’t specifically that you need the laptop chassis or a battery per-se - there’s a BIOS setting called “standalone mode” which needs to be toggled ON for the first time in order for the board to work inside the Cooler Master case. The BIOS setting might’ve defaulted to only allow the board to function inside the Framework laptop chassis…which should probably be mentioned somewhere on the pack-in booklet, or they should ship the board with the option toggled off.

Edit: After togging standalone mode ON, saving the setting to BIOS and pulling the board off a laptop chassis and back on the Cooler Master, it’s still not working. Same alternating red/blue LEDs and no bootup. Eeeeeh…is it a power brick issue or something else entirely? I really want to avoid swapping boards more than necessary.

4 Likes

@WANg i really hope it is something else, as I don’t have the laptop chassis, only ordered the amd mainboard to use in the coolermaster case as a server… mine should arrive next week or so

Edit, seems it should be fine: Accessing the bios on framework 13 in standalone mode - #2 by nrp

1 Like

TB3/USB4 only supports 22-24 GBps for pcie traffic, the 40GBps comes from display tunneling, and isnt relevant for egpu use. Using CUDA-Z for nvidia or AIDA64 for amd you should instead check the memory copy speeds to get an idea of your performance. Personally am getting ~2477MiB/s for host-to-device on my Ryzen 7+3070Ti in a razer core x. Also I have had 0 issues with my egpu on windows, what issues are you having?

3 Likes

Eh, that’s probably someone off a 12th Gen Intel board, which is a different animal than the Ryzen board. If the BIOS defaults to standalone mode OFF, I don’t think plugging a USB keyboard and furiously pounding F2 will help all that much, since the board LEDs will simply flash red/blue repeatedly and not power up. If it doesn’t power up, how would you get to the BIOS? I’ll try it tomorrow (I have the USB-A expansion module and a couple of USB-C docking stations) but I doubt it’ll do much.

2 Likes

from testing different thunderbolt docks under linux (another story…), at least linux displays the 40Gbps speed, with 2 rx/tx lanes each at 20GBPs (iirc…) for two out of three docks. I assume the third one just doesn’t do the 40…

@Arjun_Swamy
I’m getting ~1890 MiB/s with a Ryzen 7, RTX 3070 with Sonnet 750 eGPU box.

What concerns me is that during video conversion, my speeds are less now that with my frame.work 12th gen (i7-1280P) with the same eGPU.

Thank you so much, folks! I went ahead with CT2K48G56C46S5 kit, and 96G is working nice here. Got it running with debian sid (with video acceleration off though).

Has anyone attempted applying PTM7950 to their Ryzen boards? I got some delivering today, but the thermal performance out of the box is pretty good. With a 20 W + 75° C limit it rarely goes over 70°. Just would like to bump that to the OOB 28 W limit without thermal issues.*

*Above 80° C is an issue in my book, despite what things are rated for.

1 Like

I’m not going to bother repasting/applying different thermal compound anytime soon because the Ryzen board runs quiet most of the time which is my main concern. However, the Intel board in the Cooler Master case has that characteristic high pitch fan whine frequently when it use, so I might consider it for that board.

Yup, I did it a week ago. Idle temps aren’t too different(as expected of the material) at 40°, but at full load I’ve seen the chip draw a max of 38W and it only hit 80°.

2 Likes

Holy crap, that is nuts! I was expecting an improvement, but not that much of one.

Did you use it as paste or a pad?

@nasi I used a pad

1 Like

Hmm that’s a lot lower than the 2200-2400 you should be getting. Aside from the usual tips of disabling link state management and using the stock cable, I’m not sure what else I can suggest. Would def recommend checking the egpu.io forums and see if there any other similar cases with your Sonnet box.

1 Like

@Danny_Goff, In addition to be above, and if you have one lying around, you can try with an active cable. Most eGPU enclosures and docks come with short, < 1m passive cables. They can work just fine for their length but doesn’t hurt to try an active cable which will help maintain signal integrity.

If you don’t have one, they can be quite expensive, especially if Intel TB certified, so not much point in buying one just for the experiment, unless you have use for it.

2 Likes