[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

Don’t know if there’s already one, apologies if there is, but figure I’ll start this just in case…
Batch 1 AMD Ryzen 5, lets gooo!

10 Likes

I’ve ordered the same. Ryzen 5, Batch 1.

2 Likes

Ryzen 7 7840U batch 1. Keeping my 1240P mainboard as backup for the inevitable gremlins that emerge from a first generation product.

5 Likes

@Michael_Polsinelli Nice!

@Kelly_Wu Yeah I’m probably gonna do the same, save my current i5 just in case something happens to my future AMD, then I can get back to using it quickly!

1 Like

When Framework announced their first model, I had just bought an M1 MacBook Air so I didn’t need a new laptop. I remember thinking “if they come out with an AMD model I’ll consider it.” Ended up trading in the M1 air for an M1Pro 14 inch last year. Then Framework announced an AMD model…I don’t need a new laptop right now.

So I preordered a batch 1 Ryzen 5.

14 Likes

I’m batch 1 Ryzen 7 and I can’t wait. I currently have a surface laptop 4 15inch and I really don’t need a new laptop… but I love that framework is doing and I want to keep this laptop for a long time. I’ll look into selling my surface laptop 4 when q3 rolls around.
I wish they were shipping now!

4 Likes

Ryzen 5 Batch 1, yo. I very nearly pulled the trigger on a Thinkpad T14 when I saw the first gen Framework went live, and even so was a bit tentative about buying from a startup. Every now and then, the 1165G7 will do something (like ramp up fans to 100%) that makes me wonder if I should have gone with the Thinkpad. Having that upgrade path to Ryzen makes me really glad I went with Framework.

4 Likes

Ryzen 7 (7840U?) batch 1 here. Originally ordered an i5-1135G7 model in April 2022, and have since swapped in an i5-1240P. Gonna keep the 12th gen board and use it for a server my friends can host games on!

3 Likes

Ryzen 7 batch 1 here. Ordered the laptop back in November 2021, and have been waiting for a more efficient chip.

2 Likes

Ryzen 5 batch 1 here. I’ve been wanting to order one since the gen 1s were first announced. Didn’t really “need” a new laptop at the time. Gen 2 came, my laptop was still holding on, and I wanted to hold out for a matte display and Ryzen option, so figured I’d try to make my current laptop last for a while longer.

They announced both a matte display and Ryzen as a standard option on the same day, I ordered as soon as I could get through on the site.

5 Likes

So when is Q3? Is it from July to September?

Yes.

I think Batch 2 was like “late Q3” iirc, so here is to hoping B1 is early Q3 :wink:

1 Like

Here’s a question - according to the April 12 blog post, the CMOS battery is not coming with the board standard, but we’ll be able to order it separately from the marketplace. Since I’d prefer to not to pay for separate shipping on a $2 item, will we have the option of adding it to our existing mainboard pre-orders and get it all at once?

Another smaller change we’ve made is not populating the RTC battery by default. With 12th Gen, we made the RTC battery optional, and with 13th Gen and 7040 Series, we’re shipping without it. This reduces environmental impact, but also lets us comply with new regulations around child safety for coin cell batteries. The impact of this is that your system clock will reset if you unplug the main battery, but your OS will pull the latest date and time when it next connects to a network time server. For standalone Mainboard use without a main battery, you’ll be able to pick up an RTC battery in the Framework Marketplace in the near future. 13th Gen uses a bare ML1220 coin cell, while 7040 Series uses one on a two-pin connector.

1 Like

Ryzen 7 7840U here.
Time for me to replace my old Asus Laptop from 2013 ^^
I can’t wait for Q3 !

2 Likes

It may be simpler just to get one at a local store, CVS and Walgreens should have them if you’re in the USA.

Actually, those are CR1022 batteries and are not rechargeable. Stick with ML1022 that are rechargeable.

Just wondering how anyone knows what their batch is? Like my Framework laptop purchase originally, they had done away with “batches” at all levels of ordering even back then. I pre-ordered my AMD board back in March (24th) as my 11th gen is a constant source of quirks and annoyances that drive me away from using it every time I decide to pick up the Framework instead of my older Latitude.

I hate USB-C (trying to use an old USB-A floppy drive here - the drive works fine, but the laptop doesn’t - these “power surge” alerts are a common sight), and among many other issues related to power management, it’s something I really hope is behind us with the AMD boards.

I’ve been checking-in and searching Google and the forums for “framework amd shipping update” and all sorts of other permutations, and can’t find a single scrap of information (except from LTT and vague gestures in some forum replies) anywhere.

1 Like

It should’ve told you in the configurator when you purchased. I believe it will also say in your purchase history and the confirmation email you got immediately after purchase. In terms of knowing your status, Framework will send you emails at various steps along the way, which should’ve been outlined in the first “confirmation” email.

1 Like

@Matt_Falcon Right here mate.

2 Likes

@Matt_Falcon FWIW, you should reach out to support to confirm, but those power surge errors seem to be related to the RTC battery charge issues on 11th gen boards and require a mainboard reset. I had to replace the RTC battery to get the power surge notifications to stop, it’s been working fine since. Yes, it is a frustrating design flaw.

1 Like