[RESPONDED] Clonezilla with Framework Computer

I have an external SSD drive that supports usb 3.2 gen 2.
Works fine within Ubuntu 22.04 at full speed and I’ve been
using Timeshift to do backups, however, I want to do a full
drive clone, and it’s not even recognized when I boot the
latest ubuntu Clonezilla through a USB stick.

lsusb under Ubuntu 22.04 shows it as:
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL9210 M.2 NVME Adapter

I surmise it must be a driver issue, however, I am ignorant in
regards to how to do this in Linux.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi @Norman_Davie,

In testing we had success with mixed results using Clonezilla with restoration from USB. Going to include my findings and notes in helping someone else using an Expansion card. Here were my findings below.

Okay, finally got this tested properly. Likely differs a little from your approach, but here’s what I found:

** Formatted the expansion card to ext4 using gparted in Manjaro from the nvme drive.*
** Created a Live USB onto a FAT32 formatted USB key with Clonezilla “Alternative Stable.” (More on why I went this way vs Debian in a minute)*
** On a brand new Manjaro installation I have on a 12th gen Framework, I rebooted that laptop into Clonezilla Alternative Stable live USB.*
** I then went with the device-image option.*
** Then I went with the local_dev option.*
** I then saved to the expansion card.*
** Then I restored from the expansion card to the nvme drive.*
** Once completed, chose power off. Removed the flash drive and as a precaution, removed the expansion card to make sure I was getting a clean read on my boot up.*
** Booted right up to Manjaro on the nvme drive.*

Now in looking at your log, I suspect you went with a standard (stable 3.0.3-22) ISO which uses Debian.

Seeing this and wanting to hedge my bets on a better experience, went with alternative stable 20230212-kinetic instead.

On a hunch, I suspected Ubuntu-based options would provide for a smoother experience. In my test, it was flawless. Based on your screenshot of the logs, I hedged my bets and it payed off in my test.

I’ll add this to your ticket as well. Going forward, I recommend using the alternative stable - 20230212-kinetic ISO vs the Debian one. In my test, it went very smoothly taking an image to the expansion card and then restoring from said expansion card. With any luck, you have a similar experience.

1 Like

Basically I have the same set up:

1. Formatted the external nvme drive as ext4
  2. Booting Alternative Stable Clonezilla (20230426-lunar) from a FAT32 USB stick
  3. Boot from stick BUT external USB 3.2 gen 2 SSD drive doesn’t show up as a device to save to. If I put in a USB 3.0 gen 1 drive in it is recognized and I can back up to it, but it is soooo slow as to be unusable for cloning purposes (~ 700 Mbps).

I’ll try the eariler clonezilla you used and see if it’s any different.

Debian base is a nope, make sure it’s the Ubuntu base for best results: alternative stable 20230212-kinetic

Lunar is a Ubuntu 19.10 base

Looks like a typo or an old note referring to a much older release. Here is what you end up with.

clonezilla-live-20230426-lunar-amd64.zip

That’s 4-26-2023 Lunar. Also confirmed in the files themselves. Remember to select ISO not ZIP.